Vacuum sealed hop storage life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently started vacuum sealing my whole hops in mason jars and then storing them in the freezer.

Can anyone tell em how long will they keep that way....and how I should calculate diminishing AA/IBU rates per storage period?

I appreciate the help!

there are calculators that will tell you how it changes on promash and I assume on beersmith as well.

Those calculators show little degredation at freezer temps in either vacuum or ziplock bags. my experience shows me the same thing. I am still finishing some hops from 2008 crop and still have excellent flavor and aroma on pellet hops that were stored in ziplock bags in the freezer of a household fridge.

Nope...nothing special about these Mason jars. I use a wide mouth, 1 quart sized mason jar. I have a Foodsave Model V2244 because it has an accessory port that includes a vacumn tube with fittings on each end. There is another accessory that I use called a Foodsaver Jar Sealer. I connect the vacumn tube to the accessory port and to the jar sealer port....fill the jar up with hops....put the gasketed lid on the jar...then attach the jar sealer accessory to the jar.....turn on the vacumn sealer until the seal is complete.

Then remove the jar sealer accessory and screw down the pressure ring of the jar ( the lids have 2 pieces - the gasketed top and the pressure ring )

The food saver was expensive...but the jar accessory was about $10

Depending on how many hops you want to store, you may want to consider a half gallon sized jar.

My suggestion is use beer smith to compare the degredation of AA% between vacuum sealed at 30 degrees and ziplock bags at the same temp and you will not spend the money on a food saver just for hops.

I keep hops in ziplocks for years: I am still finishing 2008 crop on a few lbs of hops. Still get good flavor and aroma. I am sure some naysayer would disagree... but no one complains about my beer!

Back