decoction mash or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
i will be brewing a dunkelweizen later this later this week for my first AG. it's an AHS hit, so i don't know what kind of instruction it will come with regarding the mash. from what i've read, there are a lot of people that like to do the decoction mash, which i'm not very familiar with. do i need to read up on the decoction mash more and prepare to do that, or just go for a normal single infusion batch sparge? how much of a difference would it make?

To be honest....I'm not sure the effort is worth the results. If you've never done a decoction mash, I say give it a whirl. It's a learning experience and the Hefe I did is surely better for the effort. Just not sure if it was worth it. Prepare your self (if your lucky) for a 8 hour brew day. After a couple of times you'll cut that time down, but the first...... There's alot of info on here (kaiser's videos are technical but very educational), so you shouldn't be afraid, just be ready for a full brew day.

Back