Any idea how I might go about brewing this beer? (Laughing Lab Scottish Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEcted1

Reaction score
I have been wanting to brew a Laughing Lab clone, but I can't find a recipe anywhere. Well on Bristols site they tell you which malts they used and such, so I figured some of you experienced guys out there might know how to work with this. I don't think it's distrubuted too far outside of Colorado, but I hope someone out there has tried it and might have some idea!

http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp

Extract + grains, mini mash, or all grain?

With the info you have there + some research on the style, it shouldn't be too hard to put together a fair approximation. Try using Beer Recipator or some commercial software--it's very helpful when you're trying to hit a target gravity and IBUs.

8 lbs 2-row
1/2 lbs carapils
1/2 lbs. crystal 60
.25 lbs chocolate

.5 oz. chinnook (60 min.)
.5 oz willamette (30 min.)
1 0z. willamette (0-10 min.)

heres a stab...this will get you 1.047 og and 20+ ibu's

they say they use 6 different malts, but only list 4? hmm...maybe throw some peat malt? (1 oz.) and a little dark crystal? (2 oz. 120L)

I think 1/4 lb of chocolate may make it a little too dark for Laughing Lab. Maybe 2-3 oz would be better, then you could up the crystal a little for some more maltiness. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't just a little munich or vienna in there, too.

It IS good beer. Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!

Lil' Sparky said:
I think 1/4 lb of chocolate may make it a little too dark for Laughing Lab. Maybe 2-3 oz would be better, then you could up the crystal a little for some more maltiness. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't just a little munich or vienna in there, too.

It IS good beer. Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!

Will do!

Yeah, I like it... I'm brewing this one cuz it's my wifes favorite, so it's really accessible to both of us.

Thanks for the tip!

From the page: "A careful blend of specialty malts gives Lab a nutty, roasted flavor that’s mildly sweet, but not too rich". Sounds to me like Victory, Special Roast, or a combo of the two.

According to 300 Beers to Try Before You Die, it uses "pale two row, two types of crystal, chocolate and carapils" as well as williamette and chinook creating 19 units of bitterness.

Back