Central/South American brewpubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shmevinator

Reaction score
So I´m currently on an extended trip through Central and South America and I was wondering, does anybody (for the love of god!) know of any brewpubs in this region of the world?

For the most part, all of the beer here is of the flavorless lager variety (and is mostly owned by SABMiller :(). So let´s just say that I´m having MAD cravings.

I found one brewpub in Honduras owned and ran by an expat from Oregon, but that´s it so far. Any help?

Beer: it's a European thing. Although, it would seem South America is all about stimulants: yerba maté, coffee beans, and coca leaves and their derivatives. Why not hit up a coffee house? It's sure to be prime... Just make sure it's fair trade.

Argentina is best when it comes about brewpubs and home-made beers - from Bariloche/El Bolson to Ushuaya. See here: Asociación de Cerveceros Artesanales de la República Argentina

Chile has some of it too, e.g. Kunstmann brewpub in Valdivia (german style beers).

It's difficult to find a decent beer in Peru though (yet still you can try their corn "beer" chicha, sold in every market). I had heard about an artesenal-beer pub in Cusco, but when looking for it this year I learned it's closed already.

Thanks for the tip about Argentina. On my way down south, I met other travelers raving about Argentina's beer. Unfortunately, I only made it as far as Colombia and then came back. Argentina will be next on the list though.

Anyways, in addition to the brewpub in Honduras, I also found one in Panama City (Istmo Brew Pub) and a brewpub chain in Bogota, Colombia, (Bogota Beer Company) both of which made tasty beer.

Also available in Colombia and Venezuela is Malta or Maltin, a soft drink manufactured by the national beer breweries, which is essentially unfermented beer. Very good, easily better than most other soft drinks.

Back