my first 3 batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0633.jpg

My first batch, American pale ale (in secondary) and it is now conditioning in bottles. I got rid of those floties at the top before bottling, it had a good taste but only time will tell.
4.5% ABV

IMG_0644.jpg

Second is a Cherry Ale, has a nice tart cherry taste and i can't wait till its done.
5.5% abv (est.)

IMG_0642.jpg

My first stout, brewed with high gravity so my friends can enjoy. I used Glad press and seal to make the blow off air tight, and it's worked so far.
14.5% ABV (est.) :cross:

Nice pics. What yeast did you use to ferment the high gravity stout? 14.5 is pretty high for most normal brewing strains.

avidhomebrewer said:
Nice pics. What yeast did you use to ferment the high gravity stout? 14.5 is pretty high for most normal brewing strains.

14.5% is hopefully what it will be, i used Nottingham yeast with extra fermentable sugars.

p.s. thank you Mr. T

Grim reaper stout

Ingredients:
6.6 lbs. Coopers light LME
6 oz. Ringwood pride hops
3/4 lb. 120L crystal malt
10 oz. roasted barley
6 oz. chocolate malt
4 lbs. Cane sugar (table sugar)
1 oz. Styrian Golding finishing hops
1 pack Nottingham yeast
Fermax yeast nutrient-5 tsp.
Irish Moss- 1 tsp.

i did a taste test when i took the second reading, and it tastes good with a kick.

if more info is needed ill be happy to help.

enjoy!

Why did you use 4 pounds of cane sugar instead of corn sugar? It will produce a "cidery" flavor to your beer.

now I used corn sugar in one of my beers that I wanted the abv but less body and flavor and I got a wicked cidery taste. Ed, do all sugars give that cidery taste or just cane

it's prob cane sugar, my stout was more of an experiment in the future ill use DME.

at around $46 in ingredients.....kind of an expensive one.

in any case ill let it ferment a little bit longer and see what happens.

the 4 lbs of cane are there for more fuel for the yeast? You just have to have a longer boil and more volume if you do somethink like that right?

Back