Fermentation question for Belgian style.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkslinger82

Reaction score
Im about ready to do my first Partial mash...made my starter today. Im doing a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I have read from a couple people to ferment starting at 70...Brewing Classic styles says to slowly raise temp to 82 for this style! Others I have read say to keep the fermentation around 60ish otherwise it will have a very strong banana taste and give bad headaches. ANY information would be greatly appreciated. Here is the recipe if that helps

7.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 51.03 %
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.45 %
0.49 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.3 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.23 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.94 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) Yeast-Ale (made starter today)

It is very important to pitch at around 64-68F and allow the beer to naturally warm up as it is fermenting. The lower pitching temperature will ensure that there will be minimal fusel alcohol formation, but the yeast will still create a good ester and phenol profile. Let the beer warm up naturally to around 75F, this will allow the yeast to finish dry, which is important with all Belgian beers.
To tell you the truth, if I was brewing this beer I wouldn't use CaraPils. You don't want too many dextrins, chances are the LME will provide enough body without the assistance of a specialty grain like CaraPils. As for the PM, aim for a low mash temperature, somewhere around 147F-150F, this will make the wort attenuatable.
Remember, start cool and allow it to naturally ramp up so that the beer can finish really dry, you're looking at a target attenuation of around 80%.

Back