Can I Mix yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthmonkey

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to make a combination of a milk stout and a oatmeal stout. I was considering adding 2 different kinds of wyeast to get the best of both yeast? I want to mix 1332 northwest and 1945 neobritannia. What is everyone's opinion?

From what I have read one yeast will dominate the other, so you may not get the best of both yeast, I could be wrong though.

I use 2 different yeast strains on occasion but not for the results your looking for. I'll use a British strain and the add a high gravity strain latter in the ferment, to get the flavor I'm looking for and the abv.

For what your proposing I haven't tried it but if I where to guess one is going to take over pretty fast. I would try to figure out the stronger strain and add that a couple of days after the the weaker strain is introduced. I Really don't know but that's what I would try.

Some yeast packs from WL and WY are mix packs (wlp060 and wlp080 for example). I have never experimented with this but it might do something.

I use a mix of Scottish and Nottingham yeasts in a few beers. Seems to leave it a bit under attenuated like the Scottish but a little fruity like the notty. Works well in my sweeter porters/stouts. Long story short you can mix them but you could get the worst of each or something quite different from what you expect but it's fun to experiment.

Back