Is there anyway to avoid yeast sediemnt in beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrg247

Reaction score
I know yeast settles to the bottom when it is primed and is being carbonated. Is there anyway to stop the yeast from falling like that. I want to be able to drink right out of the bottle just like commercial beer.

There are several things you can do...

1. Let the beer stay in the primary longer.
2. Let the beer stay in the secondary longer...and double that.
3. Use gelatin.
4. Filter it.
5. Bottle.

Beer should NEVER be drunk from a bottle or a plastic cup...glass only. And the proper glass at that.

Drinking good beer is more about the experience. ;)

Am I weird because I actually look forward to that small amount of yeast at the bottom of a bottle (providing its been in secondary)?

don't worry McKBrew, I also have the sick outlook of looking forward to beer with all those goodies still in there. Its a sad sight in my eyes when I'm handed a wheat beer thats crystal clear.:)

mrg247 said:
I know yeast settles to the bottom when it is primed and is being carbonated. Is there anyway to stop the yeast from falling like that. I want to be able to drink right out of the bottle just like commercial beer.

You mean commercial swill right? I'd hate to see someone drinking ANY commercial microbrew from the bottle. First and foremost, you get no aroma, which is insulting to the brewmaster that carefully crafted and timed the hop additions for the recipe.

its sorta like ordering filet mignon and then slathering it in ketchup. You can do it, but it's sorta defeating the original intent.

Since Budweiser and the rest have no aroma (or taste) to begin with, they're fine for drinking straight from the bottle or (shudder) can.

While a nice crystal clear beer is quite pretty to look at, I kind of like the taste character yeast provides. But I am also a big fan of wheat beers too.

Just pour carefully and leave the yeast in the bottle. If you are drinking from the bottle just give her a shake before you drink any and you will never notice. :)

malkore said:
...I'd hate to see someone drinking ANY commercial microbrew from the bottle....its sorta like ordering filet mignon and then slathering it in ketchup. You can do it, but it's sorta defeating the original intent.

Right. You don't see too many pictures of German Bier Gardens with people slamming bottles together in a toast.

And the classic picture of an Irish Pub? Those aren't Guniess bottles they're hoisting.

And all that time you spend dryhopping your secondary to get that extra hoppy aroma? Wasted in a bottle.

Even now, I won't (when forced to drink it) drink BMC from a bottle.

To me, there is something beautiful about a crystal clear beer. I don't like BMC, but I am in awe of how something from a fermenter ended up looking like a glass of pilsner does. Sadly, that means that I am most aesthetically pleased with my beer about 6 pints before the keg runs dry...

mrg247: If you want clear beer, follow homebrewer_99's advice. But , I recommend that you just keg it and skip 3&4.

The real simple answer is to just stop drinking out of bottles. End of story. Even when I have a Bud at someone's house, I request a glass, admit that I'm a beer snob, and go about enjoying the beer more. In fact, I'd say a slightly warm BMC in a glass is about twice as good as an ice cold one in the bottle. That's not saying much but..

pldoolittle said:
To me, there is something beautiful about a crystal clear beer....Sadly, that means that I am most aesthetically pleased with my beer about 6 pints before the keg runs dry...

Same was true for me until I started adding gelatin to the secondary. Even my NewCastle, though a dark ruby red, is crystal clear when held up to a light.

It's beautiful.

BierMuncher said:
Same was true for me until I started adding gelatin to the secondary. Even my NewCastle, though a dark ruby red, is crystal clear when held up to a light.

It's beautiful.

I'm clear after about 5 pints, "commercial clear" for the next 25, and pure perfection for the last 10. Do you think that gelatin in the secondary would improve upon that? If so, please elaborate on usage. I've got a honey blond in the sec right now that I will keg in about 10 days.

I was also thinking about dropping the secondary to 40* for 3 days before racking to the keg.

BierMuncher said:

It's beautiful.

Do you have to add additional yeast at bottling, or is there enough left in suspenstion to achieve carbonation?

pldoolittle said:
I'm clear after about 5 pints, "commercial clear" for the next 25, and pure perfection for the last 10. Do you think that gelatin in the secondary would improve upon that? If so, please elaborate on usage. I've got a honey blond in the sec right now that I will keg in about 10 days.

I was also thinking about dropping the secondary to 40* for 3 days before racking to the keg.

I always add gelatin to the secondary...usually as it's being racked from the primary so it mixes.

Use 2.5 Tsp for a five gallon batch. Mix it with a cup of water and let sit for 30-40 minutes. Then heat to an almost-boil and stir to dissolve. Let cool slightly and then toss it in.

If your secondary is still slightly cloudy, you should see a significant difference within 24 hours.

My normal routine now is:

Primary (until stable final gravity)
Secondary with gelatin for 4-7 days.
Rack to keg and chill on the gas for 10 days.

First three-four draws might be a bit cloudy (yeast sediment) but after that…spot on clear.

I really think the gelatin helps to reduce the time your beer needs to be chilled to get past the chill-haze phase.

BierMuncher said:
I always add gelatin to the secondary...usually as it's being racked from the primary so it mixes.

Use 2.5 Tsp for a five gallon batch. Mix it with a cup of water and let sit for 30-40 minutes. Then heat to an almost-boil and stir to dissolve. Let cool slightly and then toss it in.

If your secondary is still slightly cloudy, you should see a significant difference within 24 hours.

My normal routine now is:

Primary (until stable final gravity)
Secondary with gelatin for 4-7 days.
Rack to keg and chill on the gas for 10 days.

First three-four draws might be a bit cloudy (yeast sediment) but after that…spot on clear.

I really think the gelatin helps to reduce the time your beer needs to be chilled to get past the chill-haze phase.

Excellent. I will try that tomorrow.
mrg247: Ignore my suggestion to skip gelatin. As often happens, I have learned and must bow to the skills of my elders... Ignore my suggestion to skip gelatin.

so does gelatin stop the yeast from settling to the bottom? I usually drink good commercial beers (guiness, blue moon, etc) from the bottle. What the hell do I know. Do those have yeast at the bottom too?

I brewed my first beer with no added sugar. So I doubt there will be much sediment.

I've really missed the yeast sediment since I have gone to kegging. That and the rocky shaped head that a bottled beer produces.

mrg247 said:
so does gelatin stop the yeast from settling to the bottom? I usually drink good commercial beers (guiness, blue moon, etc) from the bottle. What the hell do I know. Do those have yeast at the bottom too?

Nope. At the very least they're force carb'd (CO2 injection) and likely have been filtered.

Mike3701 said:
So if i force carb bottles, i will get rid of most of the yeast?
NO!!! :D

If you want really clear brew you have to clear it as much as possible before carbing.

If you have the means to chill your carboy (secondary) then do so. The coldness will cause the yeast to fall out. Adding gelatin doubles the effect in half the time. ;)

If you force carb (CO2 tank and taps) you don't even need yeast in your brew. There are a couple of guys here who carbonate water! Last time I checked there was no malt or yeast in water...:D

Here's my Kolsch after 24 hours in the secondary...room temperature with gelatin added.

Looking up through the beer, you can almost see through the enitre carboy.
ClearBoy_1.jpg

In just 24 hours, an additional 1/4 inch of yeast sediment.
ClearBoy_2.jpg

Ahhhh. A nice bright, 3.5% Kolsch. Notice the mirror reflection and how clear the beer looks already.
ClearBoy_3.jpg

Back