Campden Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
I have some Potasium Campden Tablets that read:

"Use 1 Crushed Tablet per 2G for sanitizing fruit. Use 3 Crushed Tablets per 5-6G of wine at racking."

I want to use these to sterilize water from chloromine. How many should I use. Are these normal tablets, or are they a smaller version? I also have powdered sodium metabisulfate if that would be easier.

Thanks in advance

So these are the right size then? They are only about the size of the nail on my pinki finger maybe 1/4x1/8"

I'm not sure if there are different sized tablets. The brand I use weighs .5 grams/tablet. I use 1/2 tablet to treat 10 gallons.

Yes, 1/4 tablet per 5 gallons. But Palmer says if you overdo it and use the whole thing, no sweat. Just an economic loss (wasted tablets!), but no damage to the beer.

I usually just strike all my water for brewing up front in my keggle like a warm water reservoir and then re heat as needed for each step. I think I'll just use a full tab in my 15g and call it good. Sound ok? Maybe I should get a chlorine test kit to be sure

I usually just strike all my water for brewing up front in my keggle like a warm water reservoir and then re heat as needed for each step. I think I'll just use a full tab in my 15g and call it good. Sound ok? Maybe I should get a chlorine test kit to be sure

Well, a tablet should work for up to 20 gallons, so yeah, that should work just fine.

Back