American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chronoclast said:
Ok so I brewed this last night. Bubbling very nicely right now as I type this.

Steep - 2 gallons
Boil - 4 gallons
Post Boil - 3.8 gallons (so a little bit more than 3.5)

11oz Crystal 60
4LB Golden Light DME
2oz Corn Sugar

1.3 oz Citra (14.1a%) @ 15 min
.55 oz Citra @ 10 min
.35 oz Citra @ 5 min
.35 oz Citra @ Flameout

1/2tsp Irish Moss @ 10 min

Pitched rehydrated Nottingham Yeast.

OG - 1.050 (although my thermometer broke moments before so I don't know the temp of the wort to make the proper adjustment)

Going to ferment in 5gal glass carboy until gravity stays same for three days, then dry hop 1oz Citra for 7 days. All just in the primary.

Had a couple mistakes. The one listed above about the temperature of my wort sample for measuring OG. Also forgot to put grain bag or strainer over funnel when pouring wort into carboy. I'll just tie a grain bag to the end of my auto-syphon when I rack to keg.

Took me a little over two hours counting clean up. Could probably get this done in under two hours with wort chiller though.

Looks good. Although you adjusted the amounts, I'm curious to see how the higher %aa and more pronounced flavor profile on the Citra will come through. Keep us posted. I think I might try a 2.5 gallon test batch with Citra for comparison with the Cascade version. Cheers.

Keep us posted I like the sound of this.

Well, I fubared this one. Watching football, drinking beer, and brewing made me FORGET I was going to add orange peel and coriander to the boil :(

So, it was a plain old 15 minute cascade with s-04. Still delicious, but no experimenting w/ the extras.

Next time!!

Well, I fubared this one. Watching football, drinking beer, and brewing made me FORGET I was going to add orange peel and coriander to the boil :(

So, it was a plain old 15 minute cascade with s-04. Still delicious, but no experimenting w/ the extras.

Next time!!

BTW - it's 24 hours and it's been going apes**t since very early this morning. I was up at 6am and it was already bubbling like mad. Still going crazy at 8pm tonight.

Even though a 15 min boil is an easy brew day, I still had a few mishaps....1. I thought I had my alarm set fot 170, and then I would take the grains out, but I accidentally turned off the alarm. By the time I check on the grains, it was at 180! Yikes!
Mistake 2 was i decided to use my 7 gal kettle, The wort literally jumped out of the kettle once I added the hops!
My only real concern is that I hope I don't get any astringency for the steeped grain being at 180. I don't think they were at that temp for very long since I was heating up at the time. (Maybe a couple of minutes above 170)

I made a English brown ale where it hit 180 steeping the grains and there was astringency for a while, but it mellowed out after a month or so. Fear not, conditioning works wonders.

This is a very simple pale for a brewer of any level of experience. While I enjoy doing my All Grain beers, I still brew this beer from time to time. The plus is that you only have to boil the beer for 15 minutes and you are done. So we are looking at a 2 hour brew day including clean up with a wonderful tasting hoppy yet sweet caramel flavored pale ale. And since its extract and with such a big hop bill you only need to boil the extract for 15 MINUTES! :ban:

Pours a nice copper/reddish color with a 1 finger head that sticks around leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

Grain/Extracts

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract added to the boil
1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

2.5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
.50 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
1oz Cascade 7.5% dry hop 7 days after primary fermentation has wrapped up.

I do like the sound of only a 15 min boil. I may have to try doing this sometime soon

chemdoc said:
Looks good. Although you adjusted the amounts, I'm curious to see how the higher %aa and more pronounced flavor profile on the Citra will come through. Keep us posted. I think I might try a 2.5 gallon test batch with Citra for comparison with the Cascade version. Cheers.

7 days in and hit 1.010 with rehydrated notty. Planned to let it sit a few more days but went ahead and dry hopped tonight since the gravity was so low. Dry hopped 1oz Citra. Going to give this seven more days then use my new kegerator for the first time. 14 days is a quick fermentation, but remember my batch is about 3.8gal.

Anything I need to know about putting 3.8gal into a 5gal keg? I was just gonna let it get cold in there for 24 hours and the hook up 30psi for another 24 hours. Then disconnect co2 and let out pressure. Reconnect to 10 psi and give it my first taste. Sound alright?

FlyDoctor said:
No difference in a keg with lower volume - you'll jut use more co2 to fill up the headspace.

My routine is 30 x 24 hours, 20 x 24 hours then 10.

Agree with Fly. Only difference is I usually pressurize, then purge to remove any air from the keg before pressurizing and letting it sit. Probably just paranoid...but I do it anyways.

Just taped this and I must say I am quite surprised. I will be doing this one again even though I have switched to AG. I was only able to do a 3.5g boil since my pot at the time was 4g. Sat in primary for ~3 weeks and 1 week in keg.

I was just wondering what I brew during hot summer months. I think I just found my answer.

orion7144 said:
Just taped this and I must say I am quite surprised. I will be doing this one again even though I have switched to AG. I was only able to do a 3.5g boil since my pot at the time was 4g. Sat in primary for ~3 weeks and 1 week in keg.

Agree - I switched to AG but still made this - and will again. The quality/time ratio is just too high to squabble over the method.

I had the ingredients around to make this again so tonight I was able to do it outside even though it was 34f out the lack of a 60 min mash made this an easy choice. It went much smoother this time not doing it on the stove. No DME clumps ;) . I would like to add a different hop at dry hop time. I have Centennial, crystal, and Williamette so what does everyone recommend?

How are the Citra hops with this? I have never used them and was thinking of dry hopping my batch with 1oz Citra. I don't think I have tried them in a beer before. It was brewed December 31st.

How are the Citra hops with this? I have never used them and was thinking of dry hopping my batch with 1oz Citra. I don't think I have tried them in a beer before. It was brewed December 31st.

If you try it please report back. I have a package of Citra that I was thinking about using next time I made this and would appreciate the feedback!

I've brewed this 15 minute pale ale 4x already, it's one of my favorite brews. Always consistently tasty and fun to experiment with. Speaking of experiments . . .

Last night I modified this to a 30 minute boil, 4 gallon "black" version:

1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Carafa II
2oz Chinook hops
5oz Cascades
7lb Light LME
8oz Belgian candi sugar
US-05 yeast
Irish moss - optional

Bring 2.5 gallons to 160, remove from heat, and steep grains for 20-30 minutes
Remove grains, bring to boil
Remove from heat to add LME
Back to boil, add 1st hop addition (start timing 30 min)
Add 2nd addition hops and irish moss (10 min)
Add candi sugar (5 min)
Add last hop addition (0 min flameout)
Dry hop after 10-14 days of primary (I then dry hop for 5-10 days)

Hop schedule:
30 min: 2.5oz cascades, 1/2oz chinook
10 min: 1oz cascades; 1/2 oz chinook
0 min: 1/2 oz cascades; 1/2 oz chinook
Dry hop: 1oz cascades; 1/2 oz chinook

I only did 4 gallons to make it a little stronger (like an IPA). You could up it to 5 gallons and use more LME or DME and/or more candi sugar. Use your favorite yeast. My us-05 is rolling this morning, just 10 hours after being put into my bucket.

I will update the results of my experimental recipe in a couple weeks. If it turns out good, I may add more hops in the next batch and consider an additional variety (simcoe, columbus, citra, centennial).

rideincircles said:

After 14 days fermenting, all I can say is......incredible! I only used 2 oz of Citra. 1.5oz at 15 min, and .5oz at 5 min.
I decided not to dry hop this since the sample tasted so good. It was very balanced, great aroma, great taste. I have to say this is by far my best brew I have made, I am not a hop head, but I don't mind a good amount of hops in my beer, this seems to me like just the right amount...
I am serious folks, I could drink this warm and flat right now, it's that good!

Mine will be slightly different than that. I used Cascade for making the beer and am dry hopping with Citra. I added an ounce to it last night and will be bottling sometime next weekend. First time using it, so will see how it goes.

I had the ingredients around to make this again so tonight I was able to do it outside even though it was 34f out the lack of a 60 min mash made this an easy choice. It went much smoother this time not doing it on the stove. No DME clumps ;) . I would like to add a different hop at dry hop time. I have Centennial, crystal, and Williamette so what does everyone recommend?

Centennial!!! :mug:

Now that the beer has been in the keg for a few days, it seems that the hop flavors are fading a bit. Maybe I should have dry hopped after all.... I will be brewing this again, so next time I will use 2 oz during the boil, and 1 oz dry hop. I will post the results.

Supergus said:
Now that the beer has been in the keg for a few days, it seems that the hop flavors are fading a bit. Maybe I should have dry hopped after all.... I will be brewing this again, so next time I will use 2 oz during the boil, and 1 oz dry hop. I will post the results.

I'd dry hop at least a couple of ounces, but that is just me.

I just popped open my first attempt at this...wow! After just two and a half weeks in the bottle, this IPA is grapefruity goodness. I was worried because after three weeks in primary, I dry hopped with two ounces of pellets right on top of the krausen. One week later, I bottled as usual, but the sample I pulled tasted like burnt grass clippings (for lack of better description).

So I nervously poured a taster today and hesitantly took a sip. Pure cascade deliciousness, with a very slight after taste. I'm sure another two weeks in the bottle will take care of that. All I can say is that I can't wait to brew this one again!

Brewing my 6th batch of this today. Today's recipe modifications:

2oz crushed coriander (5min)
2oz orange peel (5min)
1/2 cup organic blue agave syrup (5min)

Combining 4lbs LME w/ 3lbs DME

Going to up the dry hop to 2oz

Wheeeeee!

I have some friends (don't we all, tho?) who wanted to get into brewing, so I went over to their house and we made this beer.

Popped one on Saturday night - it was really nice, but I'd like to tweak it as well. I like the idea of coriander and orange peel - anyone have other suggestions? I would probably also double the dry-hopping at the end.

I brewed this two weeks ago, with .25 lb of debittered black for color. Made this a nice dark reddish color. Changed the hops around used simcoe, centennial, galaxy and cascade. Racked to secondary today and damn it tastes so good. Dry hopping with simcoe and centennial for 7 day then to keg. We had the head brewer at our local brew pub come by and talk about adding only late(20 minutes or less) hop additions to ipas. He used the term hop bursting wonder if this is the same principle here.

This is exactly hop bursting.

The only difference (which isn't really even a difference) is that when most brewers talk about hop bursting they're talking about tossing in all the hops in the last ~15 min of an hour+ boil, whereas we're doing just that last ~15 minutes. But that's because an AG wort needs to be boiled awhile for more reasons than hop isomerization.

I thought hop bursting was adding hops in the last 15-20 mins at like 5 min increments. Ex. 15, 10, 5, 1/flame out. That's pretty much what I do with my ipa's.

I dunno, the definition of hop bursting I'd heard had nothing to do with how regularly to add the hops, just that it was adding all the hops in the last 15 minutes (see here; Jamil doesn't call it "hop bursting" in the article but in the intro on the articles page that's how he describes it). And of course that's exactly what we're doing in this recipe and its variants.

I bottled mine last night. It finished at 1.013 and tastes amazing. Best uncarbonated beer I have tried of mine so far. I kept pouring myself some. I am renaming my version Citrade Pale Ale since I dry hopped with Citra. Most likely I will enter it in Bluebonnet next month. T-minus 3 weeks of waiting.

I want to try this but don't have a pot big enough to do a full boil. If I do a 3 gal boil and then top up to 5 gal in the fermenter, should I adjust hop schedule up or down? If so, how much?

LHBS was all out of Cascade (somehow) so I picked up Centennial instead. I was thinking of dry hopping with Cascade if I can find them.

Any issues with going all Centennial?

No problems. Won't be cascade, but centennial is a great alternative. I just did this with a mini mash of sorts myself. 2 lbs Munich and 1 lb. c-75 . All falconers flight hops. Bry-97 yeast. Gotta experiment

Probably a little late to the party, but what yeast would you guys recommend for this recipe? I can't get my hands on nottingham and was thinking of getting some WYEAST 1272 or 1056. Is there anything inherently wrong with this choice?

No.

I have not used Notty for my version of this, I've used US-05 and WY 1450. Any neutral yeast will do the job just fine. It's an American Pale Ale, nothing fancy from a yeast standpoint.

I used notty and it ate this thing down to 1.008! It doesn't really have any flavor right now but it's still young in its carbing stage. I've had it at about 8psi for just 4 days. Hope that once it carbs up I'll start getting more flavor, but I'm afraid the fg is just too low.

So, I decided to brew this again, but this time I tweaked it. (Hey, this is why we do this right?)

Did the recipe the exact same way as before, except I added 1lb of brown sugar. (I wanted to add candi sugar to make it a bit more like Belgian trippel or dubbel)
Have any of you added brown sugar before, and what was the taste like?
I will post again on the taste of it in a few weeks. (This is what I love about this recipe, and home brewing in general, is that we can take a base recipe like this and make it into anything we want!)

I am going to be submitting my Citrade Pale Ale to Bluebonnet this month. So far it blows away the pale ale kit I made last year. I will probably brew it again later once my keg system is setup. I may just do it all grain to save the expense of DME since it's the most expensive part.

It is way better than most commercial pale ales. It's not even at 3 weeks yet since bottling. My main differences were using the Danstar BRY-97 west coast yeast and dryhopping with citra instead of cascade with a 20 minute boil.

rideincircles said:
I am going to be submitting my Citrade Pale Ale to Bluebonnet this month. So far it blows away the pale ale kit I made last year. I will probably brew it again later once my keg system is setup. I may just do it all grain to save the expense of DME since it's the most expensive part.

It is way better than most commercial pale ales. It's not even at 3 weeks yet since bottling. My main differences were using the Danstar BRY-97 west coast yeast and dryhopping with citra instead of cascade with a 20 minute boil.

Cool - so there was cascade for the kettle additions, but citra dry hop? How much did you use?

Swapping out grain for DME is cheaper - but takes it out of the 15-minute concept - at least since you need to mash.

Back