1st Mead - Extra Week In Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brewing Papazian's Barkshack Ginger Mead. It was fermenting pretty slowly so I ignored it for a couple of weeks - then while rereading the recipe I saw he recommended racking it after a week whether primary was done of no. So, I racked it a week later than recommended.

Does anybody know why he wants you to rack it in a week and what the effect of an extra week in the primary could cause? I'm guessing a stronger ginger flavor is all I'm risking by leaving the solids in a week extra. But, I tasted it and it is not too much ginger - so, did I get lucky or are there other risks?

Thanks

I assume that he suggested racking to get the mead off the yeast cake after the most active part of fermentation. I don't think you ruined anything at all :)

Hey thanks. The instruction reads rack after active fermentation fully complete OR one week. I can only think he is worried you would over infuse the mead with ginger. I bet you're right and there is nothing to worry about. In fact - I'm not going to worry. I'm going to have a home brew instead. :]

Back