Seriously Crazy Big Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushbattle

Reaction score
I am looking to make a huge beer. I am assuming most will tell me that it is impossible, but I think with enough yeast nutrients and a large enough starter, coupled with multi-day aeration and sugar additions, that I should be able to come close to my target 23% abv. The wort without the extract and the sugar will be around 1.110, which is doable by itself. Then I can add the extract over a couple of additions, and then start adding sugar in small amounts until the yeast quits on the sugar additions. I figure I will age the beer after the (probably?) multi-month primary in a keg at room temp for about 6 months to a year, and then force carb, and bottle that way.

The idea arose at the end of the night after drinking many belgian trippel's and quad's. My buddy asked me if I could make a beer that was 23% and still fairly light. I told him that I could not initially, but I haven't been able to shake the idea since.

Any comments or suggestions? I will certainly post back here when I attempt this crazy concoction.

Battle No. 23 - Belgian Specialty Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 8.375 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 65%
OG: 1.201
FG: 1.020
ABV: 23.5%
Bitterness: 92.8 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 7 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pilsner (2 Row) UK Grain 26.000 lb Yes No 78% 1 L
Extra Light Dry Extract Dry Extract 3.000 lb No Yes 95% 3 L
Sugar, Table (Sucrose) Sugar 8.000 lb No Yes 100% 1 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Styrian Goldings 5.2% 3.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr 36.4
Saaz (Czech Republic) 5.5% 3.000 oz Boil 30.000 min 29.6
Saaz (Czech Republic) 5.5% 3.000 oz Boil 15.000 min 19.1
Saaz (Czech Republic) 5.5% 3.000 oz Boil 5.000 min 7.7

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Yeast Nutrient Other Boil 1.500 tbsp 0.000 s
Belgian Salt Mix Water Agent Mash 2.000 tsp 0.000 s

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
White Labs - Super High Gravity - 099 Ale Liquid 0.000 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Target Time
Single Infusion 6.000 gal 149.000 F 2.000 hr
Batch Sparge Infusion 5.557 gal 169.000 F 15.000 min

I plan to try an All Grain 20+% Stout in the near future. My plan: Make super thick wort (huge RIS recipe for 5gal, but resulting in 2.5gal). Make huge yeast starter. Combine the starter and a little bit of the wort, 2-3 quarts. Save the rest of the wort in sanitized jars. Let what you combined ferment, once it starts to slow, add another jar of wort, ferment, etc. All while injecting pure O2. Good luck!

Thanks for the help guys, I will give those all a read. Already I am thinking dextrose instead of cane sugar?

The sugar shouldn't matter too much. I would switch your yeast to WLP099 though, it's the only way you stand a chance.

Can You Brew It did the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. I'd listen to that podcast.

Back