Recipe critique please - Ruination knockoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first shot at piecing together a recipe rather than buying a kit. I'm calling this a knock off as opposed to a clone because I took several Ruination clone recipes out there and, with my extremely limited knowledge, tried to combine them in Beersmith to come up with something I thought I'd like. I'm not necessarily looking to match Ruination, but I'd like to wind up with something along those lines.

Here's what I've come up with:

1lb 20L Crystal
1lb 2 Row
(steep for 40 mins at 150)

6.6lb Briess Gold LME
2lb Briess Golden light DME

1oz Irish Moss @ 15

2.5oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Centennial @ 5
1oz Centennial @ flameout
2oz Centennial dry hop for 7 days

Wyeast 1056

According to Beersmith:
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.016
IBU: 114 :drunk: too much?
ABV: 6.71

Any thoughts? Thanks! :mug:

BYO had a Ruination recipe... can't find it now.

Sorry, can't help. I don't use extracts. Someone else needs to jump in.

That is waaay too much Irish Moss. A teaspoon or two should do which is about 1/20th of an oz. (Unless you meant tsp then nevermind.)

I spoke to a small local commercial brewer and according to him 114 IBU is about the highest level you could even get.
For me, I think 114 IBU with your gravity would be a facemelter. Unless you like that sort of thing...

Ok, so if I drop the Magnums from 2.5 oz down to 2.25 and skip the 1oz Centennial at 5mins and add it at flameout instead, that should get me more inline with the BYO recipe (and closer to 105 or 106 IBU IIRC - Beersmith is on my computer at home). Does that sound more reasonable?

Sounds good.

And, for what it's worth, I have made a recipe of mine 4 times now: "official" IBU's were 175... my face, and all the others around here who routinely drink it, are just fine.

The bittering hops is the heavy on the bitter taste side. Flavor and aroma (added <20 or so) add the flavor. Yes, they still contribute to the overall bitterness, but add the flavor/aroma.

As I remember, the BYO recipe had some heavy dry hopping. DO NOT forget that!

I'd personally cut the bittering down to about 1.5 oz. But I'm more into lots of late additions. I think if you shoot for 75-80 IBU's you will still have the Hops in your face without the crazy bitterness. Or just get your OG up a little higher.

Thanks for the reply, Yankee.

The recipe I was basing this off of is:

6.6 lbs Northwestern gold (light) malt extract syrup
2 lbs Northwestern gold (light) dry malt extract
1 lb 2-row Pale
1 lb Crystal Malt 15L
Steep grains for 45 min @ 149
36 AAU Magnum 60 min
15.7 AAU Centennial 0 min
21 AAU Centennial dry hop

By my calculations that comes out to:

2.66 oz Magnum (13.5% AA%)
~1.75 oz Centennial (9.1% AA%) at flameout
~2.3 oz Centennial dry hop

Are my calculations way off to wind up at the 115.6 IBUs Beer Smith is telling me this will be?

Assuming you are doing a full boil and your Boil Gravity is 1.041 I come up with 129 IBU's. I don't use brewing software, but I think it all comes out pretty close. If you're not doing a full boil your utilization will be less so that could account for the difference. But no, you're not way off.

Back