Holiday Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerdentist

Reaction score
I usually stick more with IPA's but SWMBO wants a beer for Christmas time. Anyone ever tried the Winter Ale or the Happy Holiday Ale from Midwest? Or have any other suggestions? Still doing extract and partial kits, not doing all grain yet.

I'm having the same dilemna right now. I want to brew the holiday ale in time to let it sit a couple of months (something that never happens around here!)

I was leaning towards something dark, maybe orange, chocolate, cinnamon/clove... not sure yet.

I'll be interested to see the responses.

This is from the Morebeers forum:

B3 Christmas Ale
5 Gallon Recipe

Grain
2oz Black Roasted
2oz Special B
8oz Caravienne
8oz Crystal 120L
4oz Honey Malt
10Lbs 2-Row

Hops
1oz Northern Brewer 60min
1oz Willamette 1 min

Spices
1tsp Ginger added to boil for last few minutes
1tsp All-Spice added to boil for last few minutes
1tsp Cinnamon added to boil for last few minutes

Extras
1 Whirfloc added to boil for last 20 minutes

Yeast
WLP001 California Ale

OG 1.065-1.070

Here's one I'm going to try - should start it in about 2 weeks.

Extract Homebrew Recipe by Jon Griffin
Makes 5 Gallons

A spicy, fruity moderate strength English Style Xmas Ale. This is based on an English bitter base and is a fairly easy homebrew recipe, although it does take a little bit of experience. I would advise not increasing the spice amounts. People that have tried that have found the flavor to be to overbearing. You can also change the fruit additions. I have used mango and peach in the secondary with no apple, and it is also wonderful.
• 6.6 lbs Coopers Light Malt Syrup
• 1 lb Crystal/Caramel 80
• 4 oz Roasted Barley
• 2 oz Cascade (boil 60 minutes)
• 1 oz Cascade (boil 20 minutes)
• 1 oz Willamette (boil 0 minutes, when you turn off the flame )
• 1 Cinnamon stick (boil 10 minutes)
• .25 oz Coriander seed (boil 20 minutes)
• .25 oz Coriander seed (boil 5 minutes)
• 1 oz Sweet Orange Peel (boild 10 minutes)
• 2 lbs Honey (boil 60 minutes)
• 2 lbs Crushed tart apples (in the primary fermenter)
• 3 lbs Crushed Peaches (in the secondary, this keeps the aroma)
• White Labs London Ale Yeast or Equivelant
Original Gravity 1.062
Final Gravity 1.017

That sounds great. Do you add the crushed tart apples after primary fermentation is done? Or just go full boar with the apples during fermentation? Also I dont usually do a secondary, have you ever keeped the apples and peaches together for an extended primary?

All I can go by is what's in the recipe and that has the apples in the primary and then peaches in secondary. I have heard people do the apples in secondary but I'm not sure of the reason.

Back