Cider Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keelanfish

Reaction score
A couple nights ago I bottled 9 gallons of EdWort's Bavarian Hefeweizen and was looking at all that creamy yeast on the bottom of the carboys and thought I'd try an experiment. Using a 1 gallon carboy, I poured some of the left over yeast slurry into it (Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan) and filled about 3/4 the way with Mott's apple juice. I then took about 2 cups of apple juice, put it into a pan to heat until approximately 4 oz. of honey was dissolved. I then cooled and added this to the carboy. Slapped on an airlock and put it in the cabinent. 8 hours later fermentation was rocking with the airlock bubbling about once a second.

After fermentation is complete, I'm planning on priming with wheat DME and bottling. Any chance this is going to turn out good?

I hope it goes well, I've got something similar going.

Using nottingham yeast, I've got 3 different gallon batches going. For part of it, I took a 64 oz bottle of motts, steeped in 6 oz of crystal 40 and 2 oz of flaked wheat for 30 mins. After that, I pulled the grains and added about a 1/2 lb or so of honey.

#1 - Notty + Motts + 1/2 lb honey
#2 - Notty + Motts + 1/4 lb honey + 32 oz of motts/crystal/wheat mixture
#3 - Notty + Motts + rest of mixture + 32oz of pomegranate juice.

I'll be curious to see what you think of your experience with ale yeast + malts + cider

Steep .5 lbs 120L in a couple quarts of water and add that to the mix and I bet you love it.

That is basically Graff which can be found in the recipes section under cider recipes. BY FAR the best cider I have ever tasted anywhere.

The crystal 40 (with a little flaked wheat) steeped in apple juice tasted just like a caramel apple

Latest posts

Back