now what do I do? March pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
this is going to sound stupid, but here goes. I picked up a March pump and home made brew stand off CL for 100$ delivered. Now I have all this great stuff an no clue how to use it most effectively. The stand is a 2 tier made out of wood - very sturdy build. Any suggestions? This hobby is getting more complicated.

To use the march pump you will need to prime it. This can be done by gravity,mounting it below the kettles and allowing the liquid to go into the pump. It is best to mount the pumps outlet vertically so that any air bubbles are pushed out of the tubing. Once primed you can start the pump and let it do the rest of the work. The whole process will take some getting used to so I'd suggest just taking your rig outside with water and try doing some transfers to get used to it. Also, if you don't have a cover over the pump I recommend using some aluminum foil to cover it so that it does not get wet. You don't want to get electrocuted, right?

Two tier with the boil kettle being lower? You can then use the pump to transfer from HLT to MT. Do you mash & sparge and either gravity feed to BK or you can pump. Setting up some kind of Mash recirculating with heat exchanger or just a direct fired burner underneath would be advisable for getting better use out of the setup . So many options so little time. You really need to read up on other peoples systems and then start experimenting. Best part is you get to drink the results!

Get some high temp reinforced turbing and add a valve to control the output flow. Also quick disconnects make swapping connections a breeze.

Please give us some details on your system. Not all 2-tier systems are created alike. How are you sparging, cooling, transfering etc.

Up until today, it was the backyard table and chair set up, batch sparging and manual transfers. The new stand is about 5 ft on the top tier, 3 ft on the second tier, and the bottom tier is about 4" off the ground on casters. There are no burners - I am using my camp chef 60K that I have always used. I've got keggle MLT, HLT and BK, and an 8 gal. BK with a 5 gal gott MLT. I have the stuff for 10 gal batches, but my processes are not very set up. I feel I need to map it out a bit better before making a huge mess. So far the brews have been good despite some crazy brew days due to poor planning. I have an immersion chiller, but have a newly built CFC that I have yet to use and I've got plenty ball valves and QD's. I'd love to not have to get another burner if I can use the pump to move water around.

Maybe place the IC in the mash tun. Step mash by pumping hot water from the HLT.

Use the pump instead of gravity for filling fermenter?

Put you IC in an ice filled cooler and pump the mash through for cooling? Thus avoiding cold break in your fermenter?

Lemme suck back another scotch and maybe we'll have a couple more...

Latest posts

Back