Bent Rod Rye - Broken lawnmower ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
An attempt at a session APA
Subject to adjustments when I get to the local.

6 lb 2-row pale
8 oz. Wheat malt
12 oz. Munich
6 oz. Dextrine (carapils)
1 oz. Black Patent
1.5 lbs Flacked rye or Rye malt or a mix

0.5 oz. Columbus P@ 60
0.5 oz. Columbus P@ 30
1.0 oz. Fuggles and/or EKG @ 15 haven't decided

Single Infusion, double batch sparge Target OG 1.042
Probably Safale 04

Comments?

Looks really nice. I like the munich addition to pronounce the maltiness. You'd be safe using a whole pound. ;)

I'd bump that gravity up to around 1.048 or so anyway.

That recipe looks awesome! I'm really itching to do a rye beer as I've finally located a source of malted rye. One of the local microbrews used to make 'Magpie Rye Ale' and it was awesome.
Are you going to use rice hulls? I've heard rye is very high in beta glucan and can cause sparge problems with as little as 10% of the grain bill.

I don't plan on using any rice hulls, since I batch sparge and stir the bed each sparge.

Chairman Cheyco said:
That recipe looks awesome! I'm really itching to do a rye beer as I've finally located a source of malted rye. One of the local microbrews used to make 'Magpie Rye Ale' and it was awesome.
Are you going to use rice hulls? I've heard rye is very high in beta glucan and can cause sparge problems with as little as 10% of the grain bill.
I didn't use rice hulls in the Imperial Hellfire I brewed and I didn't have any problems witht he sparge (Fly sparge). There was quite a bit of rye in that recipe.

Here's what I ended up with:

Beer: Bent Rod Rye Style: Rye Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 10 HCU (~7 SRM)
I don't think I've ever seen a wort this pale.
Bitterness: 66 IBU
OG: 1.043 FG: 1.008
(On the Nottingham cake from the Old Dog brown, should go down fast & far)
Alcohol: 4.6% v/v (3.6% w/w)
Grain:
6 lb. American 2-row
12 oz. American Munich
6 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1 oz. American black patent
1 lb. 8 oz. Flaked rye
8 oz. Wheat Malt
Mash: 72% efficiency
Boil: SG 1.034 7 gallons
Hops: Used up a number of leftovers
1 oz. Columbus (12.% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Willamette (4.1% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (4% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Fuggles (aroma)

Yah, the wort is really bitter. That can be refreshing or maybe too bitter. We shall see.

I've got an APA in the secondary that I'll be kegging for an upcoming party that was bittered with Columbus, flavor/aroma'ed with Cascade, and then dryhopped with 50/50 Columbus/Cascade. It smells amazing....just off the top of my head it's around 42 IBU in a 1050 wort.

Mine's almost done fermenting, but it's still rather murky. I think I'll leave it in the bucket for two weeks, then keg it. Dry hop if I need to balance the bittering.

Latest posts

Back