I just went POSTAL in the Post Office today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You know, I'm actually a pretty patient guy, and semi mild-mannered.

But one thing that makes me agitated real quick is the indignant, stupid, lazy attitude of the average postal worker behind the counter.

Today there was a lineup of over 10 people. 1 lazy ass behind the counter. It gets to my turn and someone cuts in front of me. I raise an objection and the worker tells me the person is OK to go in front of me since it's the Passport line and I wasn't on the Passport line! Where else was I to go?? Well, I argued flat out to no avail (everyone on line looked at me like I was nuts for trying).

Then the next 2 lazy bitches come out finally on duty already mumbling under their breath about having to work.

Well, I let them have it... what the F**K where they doing in the back anyway at prime time with only one person manning the counter???

Of course they acted like I didn't say a word. I raised my voice so someone in the back would hear me and eventually a supervisor came out. I told her the situation (lazy, indignant workers) and asked that she stay and watch my 'attendant' in action. Sure enough, the worker perked RIGHT UP and gave me the service she should have in the first place. I let the supervisor know that that was not at all they way these workers behaved when she was not out there.

In this day, when most folks are lucky to be working, I have NO tolerance for horse**** like this.

My adrenaline is still racing!! It feels good to not be passive about crap like this!

Rant over. :D

The MIB is watching you now.

Expect all your important mail, from this day forward to NOT arrive until it's 2 days past due and expect your volume of junk mail to increase exponentially.

Well......Monday after work, I went into the main lobby(open til 10 pm nightly)of the Post office to get some stamps to mail my taxes from the stamp machine (you'd think "guvment" would make make the envelopes on tax forms prepaid or something [/rant within a rant].)

When I got there the nifty new machine that they put in there about a year ago to "serve you better by being more convenient."

Only to find it was no longer there....

It seems to my logic that rather than saving money by eliminating a labor reducing device that can be used 24/7 (or as long as the location is accessable) they get rid of counter sales, thereby reducing the amount of labor needed....but no...

I couldn't f-in believe it, you can't buy stamps from a machine in the post office any more...:rolleyes:

But I guess it was announced awhile back...

Post Office to Eliminate Stamp Machines

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
The Associated Press
Wednesday, October 18, 2006; 2:12 PM

WASHINGTON -- Postage stamps can be purchased by mail, at the supermarket, even from many bank cash machines. But there's one place you won't be able to get them in a few years _ vending machines at the post office. The U.S. Postal Service plans to eliminate its 23,000 vending machines by 2010, the agency said in a recent internal memo.

Postal spokeswoman Yvonne Yoerger on Wednesday confirmed the decision, first reported by Linn's Stamp News.

"The heart of the matter is a lot of these machines are up to 20 years old," she said, meaning breakdowns are increasing and replacement parts are costly or impossible to get.

In the meantime there are lots of other options to buy stamps that fit into people's lifestyles better, Yoerger said, noting that people can get stamps by mail, through phone orders, at many convenience stores and from rural letter carriers.

Yoerger also noted that recent Treasury Department changes in currency designed to make it harder to counterfeit have required costly changes in vending machines so they can handle the new bills.

The removals are expected to begin next year with about 5,900 machines eliminated annually.

The vending machines aren't the only changes under way.

The post office is also removing many of those freestanding blue boxes where people can mail letters.

That's a result of a decline in first-class mail, Yoerger said, with fewer items being placed in the boxes.

The post office counts those boxes among "collection points," which also include the green relay boxes, where carriers store mail during delivery, and mail slots at post offices.

As of the end of last year the post office had 295,052 collection points, down from 337,230 at the end of 1999.

Vending machine removals will not target a specific area, she said. Broken machines and those that do little business will go first. If a machine still works well but makes few sales it will be moved to a busier area to replace broken or damaged machines.

Customers will still be able to buy stamps from postal clerks and the agency is increasing its use of automated postal centers which print postage on demand and also can sell some stamps.

But if that was the case, then why did they bother, and even make such a big deal of installing that new machine last year.

Oy veh....

Except for taxes, I send out only one thing through the mail a month, every other payment or correspondence is done electronically...but sheesh, you can't get stamps in a post office any more.....dammit it all.

I felt a bit self-conscious as I was venting there... but I was NOT going to back down. I go to the PO a lot unfortunately to mail/ship stuff and just had enough. I had to run a few other errands after the PO episode, one of which was picking up a few groceries.

Now I would think that is a job where folks might be a little more indignant and act even more stupid, but everyone in the supermarket was working away like it mattered. In fact at one point I was wandering the aisles not finding what I was looking for and an employee who was stocking shelves actually asked me if they could help direct me!!! THAT made my day!

Yesterday (tax day) the main post office closed at 9pm. They usually keep it open until midnight on 4/15. The highways around town were backed up late into the evening.
I guest there wasn't enough stimulus money for the post office to get any.

We're lucky that most of the POs around here are small and run by small town folks. They're friendly and helpful and that's the complete opposite of how it was when I lived in the city.
I think it has a lot to do with the area you live and peoples general attitude there.

The post office wonders why they are losing money and no one mails anything anymore. I try to avoid that place like the plague. If I do ship anything it's priority mail and I just purchase my postage online. Which on a side note their website fails half the time I use it and I have to retype the address again, but thats another story.

Anything I can do to avoid walking into that lobby and looking at the line that is a mile long with 1 lazy bum behind the counter going as slow as humanly possible.

Argh.....

PO sucks. I've had a few lost packages with tracking number which are useless. I walk in there with my tracking number and you know what they tell me : " We dont have access to that system, you have to access that via the internet." Basically they told me the only thing I could do was sit at home and wait for Mailman to come by so I could discuss with him. BS!

ah yes, the great USPS tracking number. I have never had one of those things work correctly. Most of the time they go from received from shipper to delivered, I thought it would take more than one step to get from Oregon to Texas, but apparently not. Also had a package in my hand and the tracking number reported it was still in Cali. Awesome system for packages you really want to track.

Think bsruther got it right though, smaller neighborhood POs or rural POs are always more friendly and helpful in general. Of course, if I only had to talk to 1 person a day I'd probably get a reputation as being friendly too.

But one thing that makes me agitated real quick is the indignant, stupid, lazy attitude of the average postal worker behind the counter.

Today there was a lineup of over 10 people. 1 lazy ass behind the counter. It gets to my turn and someone cuts in front of me. I raise an objection and the worker tells me the person is OK to go in front of me since it's the Passport line and I wasn't on the Passport line! Where else was I to go?? Well, I argued flat out to no avail (everyone on line looked at me like I was nuts for trying).

Then the next 2 lazy bitches come out finally on duty already mumbling under their breath about having to work.

Well, I let them have it... what the F**K where they doing in the back anyway at prime time with only one person manning the counter???

Of course they acted like I didn't say a word. I raised my voice so someone in the back would hear me and eventually a supervisor came out. I told her the situation (lazy, indignant workers) and asked that she stay and watch my 'attendant' in action. Sure enough, the worker perked RIGHT UP and gave me the service she should have in the first place. I let the supervisor know that that was not at all they way these workers behaved when she was not out there.

In this day, when most folks are lucky to be working, I have NO tolerance for horse**** like this.

My adrenaline is still racing!! It feels good to not be passive about crap like this!

that is the doing of the federal postal workers union hard at work.

I love this episode (Seinfeld):

Postal Employee: "May I help you?"
Kramer: "Yeah, I'd like to cancel my mail."
Postal Employee: "Certainly. How long would you like us to hold it?"
Kramer: "Oh, no, no. I don't think you get me. I want out, permanently."
Newman: "I'll handle this, Violet. Why don't you take your three hour break? Oh, calm down, everyone. No one's cancelling any mail."
Kramer: "Oh, yes, I am."
Newman: "What about your bills?"
Kramer: "The bank can pay 'em."
Newman: "The bank. What about your cards and letters?"
Kramer: "E-mail, telephones, fax machines. Fedex, telex, telegrams, holograms."
Newman: "All right, it's true! Of course nobody needs mail. What do you think, you're so clever for figuring that out? But you don't know the half of what goes on here. So just walk away, Kramer. I beg of you."
Supervisor: "Is everything all right here, Postal Employee Newman?"
Newman: "Yes, sir, I believe everything is all squared away. Isn't it, Mr. Kramer?"
Kramer: "Oh, yeah. As long as I stop getting mail!"

Newman: "I'll handle this, Violet. Why don't you take your three hour break? Oh, calm down, everyone. No one's cancelling any mail."
Newman: "All right, it's true! Of course nobody needs mail. What do you think, you're so clever for figuring that out? But you don't know the half of what goes on here. So just walk away, Kramer. I beg of you."
Newman: "Yes, sir, I believe everything is all squared away. Isn't it, Mr. Kramer?"

You know....I don't even get that much mail that isn't junk, or credit card come-ones....I get a couple brewing catalogs, and 3 magazines, one of them being byo....but everything else in the box every day is circulars.....

It really is that easy . .. I can bet money on that.

I went one time and there was a line of about 10 people and one person servicing people. The other guy was sitting at his desk repeatedly straightening papers, adjusting pens and then just sitting there. I looked at the clock and it was like 5 minutes before the hour. As soon as the clock struck the hour he said "I can take the next person".
I know they have rules and all but if he can spend time just sitting there couldn't he at least be doing something? I know, he doesn't get paid for that and that is his time, just was weird. I would have at least gone in the back than sit there while a long line was standing there.

Be very careful in gubment offices like the PO and the DMV.
They do have armed individuals working there and they will bumrush you and give you a serious beat down if they suspect you are up to no good. Don't believe it? Go back to that PO and show the supervisor some more anger. The Homeland Security Act is a MoFo.
AP

waste of energy. what do you do for a living? if someone came in and gave you crap at work would you work better or worse? spend your adrenaline on better things man. drink a beer man

PO sucks. I've had a few lost packages with tracking number which are useless. I walk in there with my tracking number and you know what they tell me : " We dont have access to that system, you have to access that via the internet." Basically they told me the only thing I could do was sit at home and wait for Mailman to come by so I could discuss with him. BS!

I had a set of glasses I sent to someone here just disappear through USPS. Where did they go? :confused:

Someone told me stamps are going up yet again next month.

I had a set of glasses I sent to someone here just disappear through USPS. Where did they go? :confused:

Someone told me stamps are going up yet again next month.

yeah, my mom told me this week that it was on the news.....

This would be a good time to buy some of those "perpetual" stamps at the current rate.

SWMBO has had her mail screwed up for a year now.

Some weeks she gets it, others she doesn't.
Nothing but runaround from USPS for a year.

Changed her address last week to a UPS store address, like mine across the street.

F*ck the USPS at this point.

OMG , not to mention I always get someone elses mail. Honestly .. that is really not cool. I mean I return it , but I dont know that other folks are as honest. Plus their have been a few times where I just open the mail not even looking at the front address, only to find out its not mine. Some very personal stuff on there, then you have to return it to the owner.

The USPS really needs to get with the times. They could start doing some bill pay service, more online services, tru-real time tracking, vending machines really need to come back. They could create some realy neat apps for doing online letters and such. Comon folks, even grandma has a computer.

I love the crack web tracking system. 2 days after you get the package, it still says Electronic Billing Information Received.

But how do you get that first stamp to order them through the mail???:cross:

I ordered stamps through the mail about 6 months ago. A week later I got a notice a first attempt to deliver a package was made as it was requiring my signature and that I could also pick up at the post office. The sender was the post office. The next day they decided to just leave the package in the mailbox..........it was the stamps. :mad: What????? If I had to go pick them up I could have just brought them there! This was the first time offered at this location, maybe didn't put a lot of thought into the process yet. I never ordered them that way again, just pick them up now.

Well......Monday after work, I went into the main lobby(open til 10 pm nightly)of the Post office to get some stamps to mail my taxes from the stamp machine (you'd think "guvment" would make make the envelopes on tax forms prepaid or something [/rant within a rant].)

When I got there the nifty new machine that they put in there about a year ago to "serve you better by being more convenient."

Only to find it was no longer there....

It seems to my logic that rather than saving money by eliminating a labor reducing device that can be used 24/7 (or as long as the location is accessable) they get rid of counter sales, thereby reducing the amount of labor needed....but no...

I couldn't f-in believe it, you can't buy stamps from a machine in the post office any more...:rolleyes:

But I guess it was announced awhile back...

But if that was the case, then why did they bother, and even make such a big deal of installing that new machine last year.

Oy veh....

Except for taxes, I send out only one thing through the mail a month, every other payment or correspondence is done electronically...but sheesh, you can't get stamps in a post office any more.....dammit it all.

I had noticed a while back that they took the stamp machine out of the PO, but this being a permanant change is mind-boggling. The post office appears to be the only organization in the world that believes it is more efficient to have people line up at a counter than have a time-saving machine. I mean, WTF? They either have to have more people employed to stand up front and do a monkey's job of handing me a book of stamps, or make me wait in line for twenty ****in' minutes.

IT'S OUR DAMN POST OFFICE! THE TIME WE ALL WASTE WAITING IN LINE AT THE POST OFFICE SHOULD BE PART OF THE ****ING COST/BENEFIT ANALYSIS!

I used to live in the US Virgin Islands where in the PO I was told as I approached the counter, "Whites to the back of the line". Yes, seriously this happened to me!

The three local PO's that I frequent probably are ones that are getting the ones taken from other places, they get used all the time. I usually don't get a chance to get to the PO until after midnight, but it is not terribly uncommon to run into a line waiting on the machine even then.

Virtually all of our Post Office counter workers around my area are very friendly and helpful. Must just be lucky!

Virtually all of our Post Office counter workers around my area are very friendly and helpful. Must just be lucky!
Don't know if it just luck. I'm sure it's the "few bad apples" cliché that gives the USPS such a bad name. The trouble is that once they get in, it hard to get rid of them.

But I have a spouse who’s a Postal Clerk, so may be a wee bit bias.

Never had a problem with my local USPS - the benefits of living in a small town. I know my carrier by name, and she's never let me down.

The actual post office is on the opposite end of town, so I Click-n-Ship everything and schedule pickups (for Priority). I buy those Forever stamps (have since they were introduced), so postage increases don't bother me. If I need to send something after hours and I'm on that end of town, I use the lobby self-service machine.

No complaints here. :D

I'm a big fan of the APC machines in the lobby of the PO. SWMBO does a fair bit of buying and selling online (you think brewing is expensive? Take a look at knitting sometime!), and I usually make the post office runs. I can go at 9 or 10 PM, use the machine in the lobby, and get packages out in five minutes. At lunchtime, I;d be standing on line for a half-hour or more.

I haven't bought stamps at the post office in years. I get them at the grocery store or from the ATM.

Back