Porter recipe critique...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
sorry, maybe silly to post a recipe critique after the brew has been made, im just curious what people think.
originally inspired by the Edmund Fitzgerald clone, but changed based on other recipes online about that beer, and because of what I had on hand already.

5 gallon batch

3 lbs Muntons Light DME
3 lbs Muntons Xtra Light DME
a partial mash...sort of...(i find it very hard to get an accurate temperature reading)
.75 caramel 60L
.5 chocolate
.5 black patent
.5 victory
1 oz Centennial (9.5% AA) @ 60
0.5 oz Willamette (4.6% AA) @ 15
0.5 oz Willamette (4.6% AA) @ 5
Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

so its probably not going to be as close to EF as the clone recently posted, but I'm more interested in just getting down a porter recipe I can drink, after two mediocre attempts so far.

That seems like a bit too much black patent for a porter (assuming .5 = 1/2 pound). Next time, maybe try substituting the bp for roasted, in a porter at least. That recipe seems to me to be closer to a stout.

here's a porter i did from byo countertop partial mash. 6oz of black patent worked well in this one and it was probally one of my best batches since i started a year and half ago. i also liked the molasses touch to the finished brew. all my friends loved this one as well.

seems like byo is putting countertop partial mash recipes in more of their magazines. i did three of them with just a few bucks spent on a 2 gallon cooler and grain bag. anyways, i love this recipe. i just made a few tweaks when i brewed it.

Colby House Porter
(5 gallon/19 L, partial mash)
OG = 1.048 FG = 1.011
IBU = 44 SRM = 58 ABV = 4.8%
This is my house ale, converted to the countertop partial mashing procedure. 48% of the extract weight — the amount of fermentable and non-fermentable sugars that contribute to the original gravity (OG) of the beer — comes from the mini-mash.

Ingredients
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale ale malt (Maris Otter)
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (40 °L)
7.0 oz. (0.20 kg) chocolate malt
6.0 oz. (0.17 kg) black patent malt
3.0 oz. (85 g) roasted barley (500 °L)
6.0 oz. (0.17 kg) Muntons Light dried malt extract
3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Muntons Light liquid malt extract
(late addition)
12 fl. oz. (355 mL) molasses (15 mins)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
11 AAU Northern Brewer hops (60 mins)
(1.2 oz./35 g of 9% alpha acids)
1.25 AAU Fuggles hops (15 mins)
(0.25 oz./7.1 g of 5% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White Labs WLP002
(English Ale) yeast (1 qt./~1 L yeast starter)
7/8 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Back