Will software help a noob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
Going to be getting started on my second brew soon which will be a mini mash with about 5lbs of grain IIRC. Eventually I want to go AG. (soon, but not until another batch or so.) Anyay, I'm wondering if a program like Beersmith will also help you understand some of the details with AG brewing, or would that be something you need to have learned before you get into the programs?

As an example, I like the commercial light lagers of some brands but I see many different recipes to make the same clone. I'd like to be able to plug in the different recipes and see how much they differ, if that is possible, and then come up with my own possible recipe with any changes that may make the brew better for me.

Software doesn't help you make good or bad recipes. They'll advise you of your projected OG and IBU and how they fit into different style catagories, but they won't tell you if you're using way too much crystal malts for a style. I personally couldn't brew without software, at least I wouldn't want to but I wouldn't recommend starting your own recipes from scratch as soon as you get it.

I think you are better off getting a book or two to learn the basics and then the more complex aspects of beer. "Designing Great Beers" and the new version on "How To Brew" would be couple of good choices. You can evaluate both Promash and Beersmith if you want to play around with the software.

Thanks for the info. I have the whole How to Brew book saved on the PC, so I'll keep reading. I think I'm getting pretty good at understanding the basics of what everything is but don't understand the differences in hop varieties or grain varieties. I figured seeing stuff in the programs would be a slight help.

MikeInCtown said:
Thanks for the info. I have the whole How to Brew book saved on the PC, so I'll keep reading. I think I'm getting pretty good at understanding the basics of what everything is but don't understand the differences in hop varieties or grain varieties. I figured seeing stuff in the programs would be a slight help.
Download Beersmith, I think you get 21 day full version trail.
Also >> HopInfo

Sorry, one last quick question. Can I save the recipes that I have used already in the programs? That would be helpful off the bat as it would save me from typing out so darn much in Word. (write down ingredients that come with the kit for later possible use again)

I use Promash and I don't think you could import that info into the program, so you would have to re-input. Promash is sort of select the item and then adjust the weight or time whatever you want to do. You might be able to save the recipe in the comments or the Beer Session portion of the program.

Someome that has Beersmith will have to help you with that but I am doubting it.

I think playing around with a program will help you understand how OG can be affected by different malts. It isn't going to tell you how something is going to taste though. For hops it'll tell you IBU's but if you put a pound of hops in at flameout, the IBU's aren't going to change, but the flavor most certainly will.

I do think it will be helpful for you though if you plan on doing some mini mashes before you jump to all grain.

I agree that reading www.howtobrew.com and understanding the concepts/process is prb better than letting the software do the driving. Once you get the basics down, the software is great for running the numbers and seeing what changes happen as you tweak recipes.

Since you are already doing PMs and are looking into AG soon, software would be a good idea.

I use BeerSmith and I brew AG and I it has helped me a lot.

Of course, software is just a tool. It is not a substitute for understanding what you are doing. You can easily make sh!tty beer using software.

It sounds like you are on the right track by reading How to Brew. Also, practice makes perfect. Don't let the software override your intuition.

First off I want to say one thing. I love the sotware thats out there. Have ProMash and BeerTools now and thinking of getting BrewSmth just cause I thought Beer Tools was going to be able to do some other things that I have been told that Beer Smith does very easily. These tools have helped me brew some INCREDIBLE BEERS. With all this said and done I want to say one other thing. I was brewing some incredible beers way before I started using software.

So... Hmmm.... will software help? Um... software can help. One reason it can help is that if you are a bit on the soft side when you record your recipies and results on paper at least you have it in the software. This would not describe me in my first attempts at brewing. I wrote EVERYTHING down. Hmm.... here's the deal. I'm a bit afraid to just jump on that bandwagon and say software will help you. So I have to ask as someone else here, what books do you have now that you have read about brewing? I know you said you have been reading the online 'How to Brew" book and its a great place to start. A software see will not tell you about the procedure or why you should care if you pop a bread yeast in thier instead of a beer yeast. Nor will it tell you why you should use black patent as apposed to one of the other dozens of grains. See where I'm getting at?

So remember. A software package is a tool. A real good tool let me tell you. Will it make you a better brewer. No. You will still need to know what is in a few books. Your in a great place here. Loads of people to help you in every aspect of brewing.

I'd recommend reading Designing Great Beers and potentially experimenting with software a bit.

My method for designing recipes is always to check the section in DGB, then research existing recipes, then design something based on that information and what I know about my own likes and dislikes.

Back