Interesting Ebay Auction - California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that was NJ, I'd be all over it for $200. Even if it never saw a single drop of wort, the scrap value is probably double that. How the hell do you supply enough steam for these things?

I'm not sure what it would take to produce that much steam - but I bet I'd find a way... Actually, this is probably overkill (if there is such a thing). :)

Looks like what we use on Navy ships. I'm sure you will need a steam plant about the same size to get 50 gallons of wort to boil.

John Beere said:
I'm not sure what it would take to produce that much steam - but I bet I'd find a way... Actually, this is probably overkill (if there is such a thing). :)

You'd need a boiler and a place to house it. That's all...

:D

LarMoeCur said:
Looks like what we use on Navy ships. I'm sure you will need a steam plant about the same size to get 50 gallons of wort to boil.

...and the same thing we used in older Army Mess Halls.

Yes, if you needed to get a pot (even 45 gallons) to boil in a couple of minutes, these would do the trick! (Provided the boiler was up to snuff.)

Simply amazing. You kick the stam blanket up to full, (with warm water in the pot) and you'd see those tiny bubbles forming on the whole heated surface, in SECONDS! Boiling in just a few (like 2) minutes.

But, you need the boiler!

steve

Oh, we're not talking about the vapours coming off your brew kettle. You need live steam, at about 500 (or more) degrees F. No, you can't see live steam, until after it cools down below about 150 (or so) degrees.

steve (again)

Skou,
We call that Super Heated Steam in the Navy and if I remember right it gets well above 500 F. Like Steam isn't hot enough! We need to Super Heat it! This is some bad stuff it will cook your skin and muscle to the bone in seconds.

Back