Motorized Monster Mill Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkenmonk

Reaction score
** Note: Updated to include wiring diagram and updated source for motor. **

I’ve spent a lot of time researching and building a couple motorized mills so I thought I’d give something back to the forum with this thread on my latest build.

A little background … I had been brewing all-grain for about 10 years relying on my LHBS to grind my grain. Once you decide to grind your own, you’ll never go back. The rationale could be the topic of another thread. Anyways, I started with a Barley Crusher mill and a hand drill. After a couple years, I fully motorized it with a gear motor. I followed almost exactly the instructions on Sam’s Wortomatic (http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Sam's-Motorized-Grain-Mill). These are great instructions and much more detailed than I’m going to provide below. I understand the used gear motors on surpluscenter.com are now hard to find. Anyways, I had this set-up for a couple years and it served me well.

Like my homebrew hobby in general, I was compelled to “take it to the next level” whether that really made any sense at all. I wanted a better crush (with 3 rollers) and more speedy throughput so I went with the Monster Mill MM3-2.0 (3 rollers, 2” diameter). At first I tried to power it with the gear motor from my previous set-up, but no way … not nearly enough power. It stalled with any small amount of grain in the hopper.

I spent a long time on the Internet trying to find the right motor set-up. I found that all-in-one gear motors (like above set-up) either have too little power for this big a mill or spin too slowly. Regular AC motors typically spin at 1725 RPM which is too fast. Ideal speed is 100-200 RPM. The old school way to drop the RPMs is with a belt and pulleys where ratio of pulley diameters is around 10:1. I didn’t want to do this … too dangerous and makes the design for the stand too complicated. My solution … 1725 RPM AC motor with 10:1 worm gear reducer which drops RPMs at mill to 172.5 RPM.

So, here it is … how to build a larger, more powerful motorized grain mill than any sane homebrewer needs to have. In terms of equipment, I spared little expense. In terms of a fancy stand or cart, I went fairly simple. My description is heavy on the component specifics (which I spent most of my time sourcing) and light on the build details (since it’s pretty simple and I literally only spent a ½ day building it).

Components (cost excludes shipping and handling):

Some commentary on components … the mill isn’t cheap, but is top notch, super beefy, and you’re not going to do much better on cost or quality unless you’re a machinist and have lots of time to kill. The hopper is also very well designed and built. Unlike the mill, I don’t think you could do better for the price even if you worked in a sheet metal shop. The motor and gear reducer were also not inexpensive which is mostly due to my impatience. They’re reasonably priced for being new. If you had more patience, you could probably find something cheaper used on Craiglist or eBay. The reversing switch is a little overkill (you almost don’t need a switch), but it’s really cool looking. The legs from Ikea were a great find. Based on the way I built the table (see below), they’re adjustable so the table height is can be made the exact height of a standard, food grade 6 gallon bucket (like most homebrewers use for their grain). Last, I didn’t list every nut and bolt used. They’re mostly self-explanatory and a true DIYer has a drawer full of all sizes in their garage.

Construction:

1. Assemble gear reducer to motor. I configured mine to have the gear reducer hang off the motor where the motor is mounted to the table. You can do it the other way around where the motor hangs off the gear reducer. You’ll have to think about the spacers needed line up the gear reducer shaft to the mill shaft (described below). I intentionally wanted to put spacers under the motor so I would not have to put spacers under the mill which I thought would be more complicated.
  2. Lay out mill (without hopper) and motor (with gear reducer) on laminated pine panel to determine lay-out and overall size.
  3. Cut laminated pine panel to size. I went with 23”x31”. This is really the structure of the mill stand. You need something pretty stiff and strong to hold the weight of the mill/motor/gear reducer and give the mill base some rigidity. I wouldn’t go with anything thinner or wimpier than laminated pine.
  4. Very precisely mark outline and opening for mill base. From outline and opening, measure and mark holes for mounting mill.
  5. Carefully cut mill opening and drill holes for mill mounting bolts.
  6. Mount mill will bolts a little loose. Since bolt holes through wood base are very close to mill opening, I reinforced with Simpson splice plates on the bottom side of the wood. That essentially sandwiches the wood panel between the Simpson plates and the mill end blocks.
  7. Squeeze end blocks of mill together so blocks and rollers are tight, everything is square without rollers being cocked, and tighten mill mounting bolts.
  8. Assemble Lovejoy couplers to mill and motor. Motor has a key-way. However, mill just has a flat. I was concerned about slippage of the coupler so I used a Dremel to grind a shallow hole in the mill shaft that the Lovejoy coupler set screw would go down in to.
  9. Now it’s time to mount the motor (and attached gear reducer). Line up the shafts and measure the gap under the motor. I neatly ripped some short pieces of 2”x4” as spacers. I went a little on the thin side and used washers to finely adjust the height.
  10. Drill mounting holes through 2”x4” spacers and pine laminated panel. I oversize the holes a bit so I could make some adjustments.
  11. Carefully line up gear reducer shaft to mill shaft (with Lovejoy coupler installed). They don’t have to be perfect (which is the point of the flexible Lovejoy coupler), but they should be as perfectly aligned as your eye can get them. Shim motor and slide around until the shafts are aligned and tighten down the motor mounting bolts with enough torque so the motor isn’t going to slide around. Make sure to use washers and lock washers.
  12. Mount 1”x4”s on bottom side of panel along two edges in opposite direction of panel grain. I buttered these up with wood glue, used short wood screws to fasten, and cleaned up the glue squeeze out. These boards give the panel more strength in the direction opposite the grain. They also give the screws for the table legs more meat to grab in to (see below).
  13. Mount ¾”x¾” trim wood pieces to bottom of panel around the mill opening. These help guide and position the bucket under the center of the mill. Use a bucket to trace a circle around the mill opening and attached the trim pieces just outside this circle (leaving a little gap so you don’t have a tight fit). You’ll likely have to predrill these so they don’t split when you screw them down.
  14. At this point I disassembled all the metal stuff, sanded the wood, applied some stain, and then applied a couple coats of polyurethane. If you’re impatient like I am, you can use a heat gun (or hair dryer) between coats of stain and poly to speed it along. After my 2nd coat of poly and heat gun, I took a short break for lunch and a beer and the poly was hard enough when I was done to continue working.
  15. Wire motor to switch and switch to electrical cord. This took a little head scratching on my part, but I figured it out eventually. It helps to draw up a wiring diagram. If enough people reply and ask for one, I can recreate it. To make it reversible, you have to use four conductor wire (black/white/red/green) and use the metal flexible conduit as ground. Honestly, the mill has never bound up and I never have had to reverse it so this feature isn’t really necessary.
  16. Mount switch to pine laminated panel.
  17. Mount Ikea legs to bottom of panel into 1”x4”s with screws long enough to go as deep as possible without poking out the top.
  18. Roller spacing can only be measured with the hopper removed so I took the extra step of measuring and scribing marks on the side of the mill for different roller spacings. Spacing can be measured with feeler gauges (find them at an auto parts store). I put a mark on the adjuster knobs (one on each side of mill) and then made 12:00 to be my nominal 0.035” spacing. I then marked off 0.002” increments wider and narrower in each direction. Make sure you also mark which way is wider and narrower on each side of the mill as they’re in opposite directions.
  19. Assemble and mount hopper to mill.
  20. Monster mill recommends running some grain through the mill to remove any dirt or metal burrs (and then throwing out grain of course). Think of this as your test drive.
  21. Relax and have a homebrew!!

Some commentary on construction … like I mentioned before, I put my money and focus on the equipment and didn’t go real fancy on the table. I made it look nice (it matches the dark woods and stainless steel in the rest of my brewery), but it’s mostly function over form. There’s lots of other posts with elegantly built or creatively sourced cabinets, carts, stands, etc.. Also, I didn’t provide any dimensions. Hopefully you can get the overall idea from the pictures. I did measure when I built it (i.e. I didn’t slap it together), but didn’t keep notes afterwards. It’s mostly an exercise in picking the size you want and carefully aligning and laying things out.

This mill rocks! It plows thru 30+ lbs of grain in just a minute or two. It’s big, beefy, and overpowered. Throwing the red lever on the control box is blast (you’ll know what I mean after you’ve built yours).

Anyways, I hope this was helpful. The parts cost a few bucks. You could do a little better on the motor and gear reduce with some patient eBay hunting. Construction should take less than a day.

Grain Mill Wiring Diagram.jpg

Motor Wiring Diagram.jpg

Well thank you for helping spend my money :mug:

I currently use a Barley Crusher hooked to a 1/2 drill motor, yes it works, but I can feel the drill motor heating up as I try to keep the speed low. My initial thought was to connect a motor to my Barley Crusher, but after seeing this set up I think I'm just going to build a whole new unit. Can't say how much I appreciate you putting links to all the parts and pieces! Also, love the fact you're using a gear reducer instead of pulleys and belts. I had concerns about something getting caught in the belt/pulleys.

I'm going to start ordering all my stuff today, thanks for the 411! Cheers and happy new year!

Assemble Lovejoy couplers to mill and motor. Motor has a key-way. However, mill just has a flat. I was concerned about slippage of the coupler so I used a Dremel to grind a shallow hole in the mill shaft that the Lovejoy coupler set screw would go down in to.

Good call. I stripped mine in no time with a 177RPM gear motor.

MC

I just built one of these, so I'm very familiar with the wiring. It's fresh in my mind, so if its a lot if trouble for you to regenerate it, let me know and I can post it.

Here is the wiring diagram for power, switch, and motor. It also includes the wiring diagram for the side of the motor (in case you're interested or are using a different motor).

Grain Mill Wiring Diagram.jpg

Motor Wiring Diagram.jpg

I went with surpluscenter.com because that's where I got a gear motor for my first grain mill (per Sam's Wortomatic page) and subsequently found they have the best prices. General sources to check are McMaster Carr and Grainger. I did a quick check and their equivalent motors are running $300+. Unless someone chimes in with a better source, you can always take your chances with eBay and Craig's List. To replicate my build, search for a motor with a NEMA 56C face to be compatible with the gear reducer. I also sought out a motor with a capacitor for good start up torque (so your mill motor doesn't stall if you start with grain already in the mill rollers) although my mill seems to have plenty of adequate torque.

Is there anyway to check the torque on this operation? I would be courious how many inch pounds its puts out and how the process on how to figure torque specs

Torque (in-lb) = (HP / RPM) * 63025

My GE gear motor which I originally tried to repurpose had 40 in-lb torque and would stall even if I started the mill empty. My new 1 HP motor with gear reducer which has an output speed of 173 RPM has a torque of 364 in-lb (per the above equation). This is obviously a big increase and the mill has no problem plowing through grain even if the hopper if full and the mill is started with grain in it already. The minimum torque is probably somewhere in between.

Looks like I have my next project! Thanks for posting with all the details. Although expensive I like the gear reducer rather than a belt/pulley setup. This can be way more compact, which is what I need.

I just wanted to give a big thanks to the OP for this info. I have been wanting to build a motorized mill but couldn't find a suitable gear motor.

This setup is nice because the gearbox is made to fit the motor perfectly. The system is a little overkill, I don't think it will be possible to stall it unless you put something other than grain in it. I am using it with a MonsterMill 2 and I took a different path on the stand setup. Mine is built into a storage shelf that I already had.

It is really nice not to have to worry about dangerous pulleys and belts. Thanks again to the OP for posting links and making this really easy.

For those looking for a motor, you might check Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-horsepower-farm-duty-agricultural-motor-68288.html

Although it's a Chinese motor, it will probably work for years in this application.

Finally had a chance to use mine...and the only phrase I can think that adequately describes the functionality is "make it rain!!". I crushed close to 20 pounds and it was like a steady stream of crushed grain falling from the hopper. Now I just want to crush grain to watch it work, LOL.

That HF motor is a good find, but the only problem is it doesn't have the NEMA 56C face for mounting the gearbox to.

You could probably make an adapter to make them work, but you would have to be very careful that they were mounted square to each other to avoid problems with side loads on the shaft.

Surplus center has one of the motors back in stock right now.

disney7 said:
That HF motor is a good find, but the only problem is it doesn't have the NEMA 56C face for mounting the gearbox to.

The motor spec and parts list in this thread is why I'm so appreciative of the OP posting the details. I looked at the HF motor and saw it was a "56" and assumed it was the same.

Happy brewing!

Wow! 100% overkill. I like it. I doubt you could buy a similar setup for anywhere close to that price though. Good job.

disney7 said:

You could probably make an adapter to make them work, but you would have to be very careful that they were mounted square to each other to avoid problems with side loads on the shaft.

What's the difference between 56 and 56C?

Good catch. I didn't explicitly specify that and it looks like the hyperlink is dead now since the motor is no longer available. Motor needs to be 56C so that it allows a face mounted gear reducer.

drunkenmonk said:
Good catch. I didn't explicitly specify that and it looks like the hyperlink is dead now since the motor is no longer available. Motor needs to be 56C so that it allows a face mounted gear reducer.

The link for the HF motor worked for me. I called the number in the instruction manual which led me to another number to call about technical questions. Haven't had a chance to call that one yet but I hope to find out.

Surpluscenter.com has good deals (usually 1/2 price or less of retail), but their available inventory changes a lot. This motor type is fairly standard so you should be able to find some good deals on surplus or used ones.

Bringing this post back to life. Thanks so much for this info, great research. I'm working on a project like this and am finding a bit of uncertainty about the output rpm of motors and the input of the reducer. All of the reducers I have found say max 1750 input. What is the story with the output rpm on 1hp motors? Is it like saying 110-120v? I only ask because everything to the cheaper side is 1800rpm, but to confuse it more i've found ebay listings etc that even have 1750 and 1800 listed in the same specs. I would assume these are hard numbers, don't want to roach a reducer.

I just built one of these too, used a motor listed as 1800rpm with the reducer in the earlier post, I don't have any problems.

I'm pretty sure the 1800 is the rpm without a load and 1750 is with a load, and they are a different representation of the same thing

Thanks again for all the info, just bought all the pieces for the mill in our new nanobrewery tonight. Can't wait to try it out!

Back