Thirty-three years ago we were graced with The Wall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
Hells yeah, 33 years ago Roger Walters brought us the wall. Certainly not one of the best Pink Floyd albums but it surely not the worst! I've certainly raised several pints to them tonight as i sit back and enjoy the movie! :mug:

Certainly wish I had a lil something in a :pipe: but those days are far beyond me.

I can't really listen to it anymore. Anytime I think about Pink Floyd I always turn to something else just because of the crazy amount of times I've listened to that album. Not that I listen to them on a regular basis anymore but Meddle has actually been my go to Floyd album for a little while now.

Meddle is definitely a great album, I'm partial to animals myself. It depends on my mood. They're all great in there own right. Just need to be in the mood.

There is definitely a lot of the wall that is so-so musically, but for me the association to the movie is what keeps me hooked. I spent Many a wasted night in college watching the movie...

Wow! It's hard to believe it's been that long.
I remember when brick in the wall was hot on the charts. I would hear it on the radio so often that I would get tired of it.
It came on one time and I changed the station, only to find the same song on two more stations.

They are still one of the best concerts I've seen.

I can't really listen to it anymore. Anytime I think about Pink Floyd I always turn to something else just because of the crazy amount of times I've listened to that album. Not that I listen to them on a regular basis anymore but Meddle has actually been my go to Floyd album for a little while now.

x1000. Burnt it out. 2 album set.

Movie was horrible. Blech.

DSOTM still does it for me, but it's a little burnt too.

My fave song by far is Shine on you Crazy Diamond. The only album I still listen to is A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which is excellent.

This is kind of cheating and I generally don't like greatest hits albums but I really enjoy the Pink Floyd one. Mostly because it does a great job of mixing up the songs in a fashion that flows together well. I don't like chronologically greatest hits that lump songs in by album.

I'm an ancient hardcore Pink Floyd fan. Definitely "worst case scenario" stuff.

My sons gave me the Immersion edition of The Wall for my birthday this March, and once I had ripped both the live and studio versions, I've listened to one or the other or both literally every working day since. That gets me through a couple/few hours, at which point I launch my Pink Floyd uber playlist (150 songs) which will definitely carry me through to dinner and beyond.

If I'm riding around the property on the tractor, my iPod is playing Pink Floyd. If I'm on a plane, my phone is playing Pink Floyd. If I'm in the car, the audio system is most likely playing Howard Stern ;) - or Pink Floyd.

It's a sickness, and I have it in spades :drunk:

Cheers!

passedpawn said:
Do your hands feel just like two balloons?

No but I have nicotine stains on my fingers and the inevitable pin hole burns all down the front of my favorite satin shirt.

Do your hands feel just like two balloons?

:rockin:

Actually, right now I'm comfortably numb. I have to spend a week down in Austin - away from my beer - so I've spent the last six hours working my way across my six taps, one pint at a time. And this sixth one is a huge RIS that will definitely put my @ss in bed within the hour...

Cheers! :mug:

ps: This thead just reminded me to put the live Wall concert video on my phone for the plane ride...along with "The Professional - Director's Cut"...

.... The only album I still listen to is A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which is excellent.

I'm listening to On the Turning Away right now. Great song.

Wish You Were Here is probably still my all time favorite by Pink Floyd.
I was reading an interview in a guitar mag where David Gilmore was saying that Wish You Were Here was his favorite album largely because it's focus was mostly on the music, unlike The Wall where the lyrics/story was the primary focus.

Personally, I like both!

Gilmore can tell a story with a guitar solo. Great musician IMO.

My fave song by far is Shine on you Crazy Diamond. The only album I still listen to is A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which is excellent.

I would have to pretty much agree.
Shine on, have a cigar and wish you were here. Watching Gilmore play wish you were here was awesome.

I think momentarily lapse of reason is one of my favorite Floyd albums for a couple reasons. First, it's an awesome album, second that's the tour I saw them on.

Yeah man. My mom used to make me listen to it when she had too much wine. We'd turn the lights out, light some candles, and cue the record. To this day, I'm glad she did. And, one day when she dies, one of the only things I'll want are her copies of The Wall and Darkside of the Moon.

Lots of interesting music on all of their albums. Different sounds, different moods.

I personally thought The Wall was a very cool movie. Pretty much through the whole thing you can just sit back and imagine how high they were when they made it. Loved the dark animation scenes.

In general I don't listen to whole albums. I usually just play the live 2-disc set, "The Pulse". Amazing what a live album can sound like, even compared to their amazing studio albums.

Back