First time brewer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blarsen71

Reaction score
I am going to do a secondary fermentation and have a question. In order to transfer the beer to the carboy from the fermentation bucket, should I siphon the beer to the carboy or should I pour it into the carboy using a funnel?

Syphon! You want to minimize exposing your beer to oxygen, a smooth syphon (no splashing) is the best way to do that

You'll want to siphon it to the carboy. Pouring it through a funnel will introduce oxygen and the only time you want to do that is prior to pitching your yeast. After that point it will only have negative effects on your brew. Happy brewing!

Always siphon after fermentation gas started. Your going to cause oxidation if you just pour. You want to oxygenate for yeast health when you add the yeast, but after fermentation has started oxygen is not your friend and can cause off flavors.

Pour it. Make sure to slosh it around a lot too to get more oxygen into it to get the secondary fermentation going again.

Actually, Don't do that.... Siphon.

Pour it. Make sure to slosh it around a lot too to get more oxygen into it to get the secondary fermentation going again.

please tell me you are just kidding.

Dude, that's not cool. Nobody can read your white text unless they highlight it.

OP, the only time your pour beer is prior to pitching yeast. Yeast need ogygen in the reproductive phase; after that, they do not... you'll get staling of your beer.

homebrewdad said:
Dude, that's not cool. Nobody can read your white text unless they highlight it.

OP, the only time your pour beer is prior to pitching yeast. Yeast need ogygen in the reproductive phase; after that, they do not... you'll get staling of your beer.

Thank you.

Since nobody has mentioned this.... you really don't need to go to the secondary for most beers. You can just leave it in the primary for an extra week unless you have some pressing reason for transferring to a secondary. It's just one less step to mess up and one less container to clean.

since nobody has mentioned this.... You really don't need to go to the secondary for most beers. You can just leave it in the primary for an extra week unless you have some pressing reason for transferring to a secondary. It's just one less step to mess up and one less container to clean.

+1

billl said:
Since nobody has mentioned this.... you really don't need to go to the secondary for most beers. You can just leave it in the primary for an extra week unless you have some pressing reason for transferring to a secondary. It's just one less step to mess up and one less container to clean.

Great advice. Thank you.

What beer styles require a secondary?

I always do a secondary to add gelatin finnings. Transferring to the secondary gets the gelatinous stirred in well without adding oxygen. It would be nice not to transfer though.

What beer styles require a secondary?

I always do a secondary to add gelatin finnings. Transferring to the secondary gets the gelatinous stirred in well without adding oxygen. It would be nice not to transfer though.

Well, as some saw, I was kidding. Only Siphon.

For a secondary, typically these are only recommended if you are dry hopping for an IPA or adding a different flavoring agent, such coffee or a fruit for a stout or wheat. other than that it is not needed.

Latest posts

Back