Anyone know how to make an.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Anyone know how to make an IV drip and bag? I couldn't find anything on the Internet......And I can't even find something I can buy....

I am going to make a HUGE beer. I'm going for as strong as possible. To make this happen I would like to slowly feed the beer yeast and sugar through an IV. I will also be oxygenating it pretty much everyday for a couple weeks to keep the yeast going hard.

Don't hate on the strong beer, it's just for fun! Hopefully I will reach 20% plus.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You just need a regular container (doesn't have to be a bag, you know), some tubing, and an inline valve. Just adjust the valve so that the flow rate is as slow as you want it to be.

If you want super precise control over the rate, you might try a pin valve instead of the ball type.

You want something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Tubing-Aqua-Dose-gallon-Set-ups/dp/B0002ARHMW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_5

Drill a small bucket and attach the line, hang the bucket up high, and you can use the roller to adjust the flow/drip rate. I used one to feed calcium slowly in to an aquarium with much success. Easy to use and allows for fairly precise control.

Or, if you want one with a container attached: http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-KENT-AQUADOSE-1400ML/dp/B004PBE43O/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

You can also make something like with tubing, a bucket, and an inline valve (as wierdboy said). I imagine you could cobble something together at Home Depot for a fraction of the cost. But that is essentially what you are trying to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly what I need. Its def a little pricier then I want to spend. I just found something on eBay for $4. I'll just have to make my own bag somehow

That's exactly what I need. Its def a little pricier then I want to spend. I just found something on eBay for $4. I'll just have to make my own bag somehow

Take a bottle or jar, fill it with your sugar solution, put a stopper in it and invert it. You can drill the stopper to put your tubing in there nice and tight.

The innovative spirit of my fellow homebrewers continues to fascinate me. I absolutely love this hobby!

By the way, how do you plan to brew it, Kmcogar? What process are you going to use? I've heard a number of ways to get really BIG gravities, so I'm curious how you're gonna do it.

lol...when I first got into nursing, I always wondered if I could use an IV bag and tubing to use in brewing. I'm not sure that it would be necessary to slowly feed yeast through the bag so much as maybe pitching a large amount a week or so into fermentation. Using the drip for sugar addition is definitely an interesting idea though. Do you have a strong enough yeast to handle over 20%?

Back