Growing hops In iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuyser

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend the best variety to grow in Iowa?? Avid gardener + avid beer drinking = hops grower

feel free to use my formula for hops growing :)

Where is the best place to buy your hops ryzomes? Also from my understanding there are male and female plants? how do you know what your are going to get when you order? im only looking at getting 2 and let them grow on my deck.

All rhizomes should be from females, unless it says otehrwise. They usually aren't available till March.

Typically you can pre-order these starting in January or February. I ordered my 3 rhizo's through Midwest supplies last year (Cascade, Williamette, Hallertauer). Most shops will only give you rhizo's from female plants that produce hops, so you shouldn't have to worry about getting a male (this is why you don't buy the seeds). My cascade and williamette both got to be 15-16' tall in their first year and produced 1/2-1 oz of dried hops. I'm expecting much more next year. The Hallertauer was planted a little too deep, so by the time I replanted, it sprouted but only got to be 6' tall. Hopefully it comes back this spring.

Cascades seem to do well for most people. Centennial is another good one (think Bells 2 Hearted). I'd choose one of those two. Try and get the other one for a different beer style so you have some variety (english, noble, or german).

Someday when i start growing my own hops, Citra would be at the top of the list and more than one.

Good luck growing Citra. I have a couple Franklins with your name on out if you manage. They are there with Amarillo and... Gahhh. Brain fart... The other few proprietary crosses only grown by licensed patent holders. Getting ypur hands on those would require stealth and ninja skills through northwestern hop fields.

Back