IPA Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I love me some hops. I'm looking for suggestions for a double/imperial IPA. I'm looking for something on the dry side of the spectrum. Seems like most beers in this style that I have tried lately are overly sweet to try to balance out the bitterness. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I brewed this one earlier this year and it came out great.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/im-overdue-ipa-239353/

To really dry it out I would cut the crystal and special B in half (or just pick one or the other), add maybe a half pound of sugar, and make sure you mash thin, at 148, for 90 minutes. If you're going extract just sub in 7-8 pounds of DME for the base malt.

There's no bittering addition but trust me, you will get plenty of bitterness from that hop schedule.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should have specified that I'm looking for commercial examples of the style. I actually brew a Citra SMaSH IPA that comes out quite dry.

bernerbrau that recipe sounds delicious, I might have to brew that one up soon.

It's not a double/imperial but I've really been enjoying Flower Power IPA from Ithaca Brewing co. I was lucky enough to have buddies visiting upstate new york pick me up a case... twice. The office lets us drink beer after 3 on fridays and I keep a private stash in a fridge under my desk. Nice and dry.

I don't think I've tried an imperial that wasn't heavy on the malt to balance out the bitterness. I think that's to style in IIPAs.

I posted on HBT in the past how I wasnt into hoppy beers before I got into homebrewing. I was not a fan of IPA's but over the years I got to appreciate them. Here are some commercial IPA's that I like.

DFH 60 min IPA, 90 min IPA
Harpoon IPA
Goose Island IPA
Houblomonstre Tripel IPA
Sculpin IPA
Two Hearted Ale

Ruination and Pliny are some of the driest examples. Get whatever's fresh, that's the most important thing for the style.

Ruination IMO is a tad sweet but gots lots of bitterness to make up for that. Op you ever try green flashes west coast ipa? Its dry and incredibly hoppy with loads of bitterness! Its like liquid gold, perhaps my favorite ipa. When you pour it there's loads of hop sediment in the glass though you gotta let the bottle seatle for an hour or two before you pour or you get yeast or trub in the glass.

Back