Aluminum or stainless steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudester

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it matters what you brew your wort in. Aluminum or stainless steel and why:mug: .

Both are great, don't scrape or scrub the grayish film that forms on the aluminum... that oxidation protects your wort from the bare aluminum.... but they are both great. Enjoy

I have a 26qt aluminum pot I use, because it was a hell of a lot cheaper than SS.

I tried to get someone to get me a couple of those Costco fryers up in NH and ship them through Ebay, but no dice...I would still be interested if someone could do that.

everything ive read says use stainless, ive heard recommendations from people that say aluminum is fine. Alot of people use aluminum kegs for kettles also so it must be alright. However I bought a stainless kettle.

If you want aluminum, just buy a turkey fryer and it will come with one, plus you have a big A$$ burner to use too.

I saved my aluminum pot for frying...and steaming.

I think there's a reason for not using aluminum, but I can't remember why. :cross:

Do a search. There's a few hundred posts going back and fourth about this one.

Aluminum is fine. The study that caused all the fears of aluminum was flawed.

It was assumed that aluminum cause ahlsimers due to high levels of Al in alshimers patients, but it turns out that alshimers causes the elevated levels of Al.

Lil' Sparky said:
Oh, and BTW - kegs are SS, not aluminum. ;)

Ive seen AG setup pictures of like budlight kegs used for kettles. Those are all aluminum arent they? If theyre not, then ive been mistaken all this time. Although ive never thought about it that much.

Tophe96 said:
Ive seen AG setup pictures of like budlight kegs used for kettles. Those are all aluminum arent they? If theyre not, then ive been mistaken all this time. Although ive never thought about it that much.

If you mean like these, they're all SS.

brew_stand_complete.JPG

Back