AHS - Anniversary Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
Anybody else get this kit?

The hop schedule is just really bizzare. 1 oz Perle for 60 min - I'm ok with that, but the following doesnt make sense to me:

1/2 oz Vanguard 15 min
1/2 oz Kent Golding 15 min
1/2 oz Vanguard 5 min
1/2 oz Kent Golding 5 min

That just seems like a ton of hops for a Kolsch, and out of style. I brewed it, and didnt even use the Kent Goldings, I'll save those for a british ale. If I were to use them, the IBUS would have been way too high, it's already exceeding the style guidelines without them.

The description isn't available on the site anymore, but I dont think it mentioned anything about all this late hopping. I dont think I can order AHS kits anymore, it's a crap shoot.

I fully admit this could be an awesome recipe, but I was expecting a more standard Kolsch.

I contacted them, and they just said they said they work too hard to develop these recipes to make the information public and that's how they make there kolsch's and there are other AHS kolsch recipes with similar late hop additions. But as a consumer, I can't think of another product that somebody would buy, and not know what they're getting. Like a cake mix, would have its recipe and ingredients right on the box. It's like ordering a chocolate cake mix and having no idea what flavor of frosting I'm going to get (vanilla or chocolate)

Am I wrong on this? Is this standard for a Kolsch? I don't think everything has to be to style, but if it were to significantly vary from the style guidelines I would think AHS should give some hints about that in the product description since the full recipe isnt available. Maybe I missed it.

Anybody brew it with the EKG?

That is definitely not a standard hop schedule for a kolsch. I wouldn't go any later in the boil than 15-20 min. A 15 min comes out pretty hop forward for the style. I too have no idea what EKG is doing in there...

Dang said:
That is definitely not a standard hop schedule for a kolsch. I wouldn't go any later in the boil than 15-20 min. A 15 min comes out pretty hop forward for the style. I too have no idea what EKG is doing in there...

Guess i got a clean low bittered pale ale coming my way.

I brewed this kit nine days ago. Getting ready to take a sample in a bit to check the gravity.

Edit: Gravity was at 1.012 and I thought it tasted pretty decent. Not nearly as hoppy as I would have thought with all the hops. Planning on checking tomorrow and then cold crashing.

I brewed this kit last night. I too was a little thrown by the amount (and type) of hops included for late hopping. Tettanger or Hersbrucker are the hops of choice for the style. And there is typically no aroma addition.

My guess is they used the sale as an opportunity to clear out some excess hops. Also if you were using the extract kit, the recipe was planned for a partial boil (tho no exact amount is really given, which is disturbing). I left out some of the 60min hops (prob .1-.2 oz) since I was doing a full volume boil.

I thought the hops were odd too. Here is my plan, what do you think?

90 minute boil
1 oz Perle FWH (90 min)
1/2 oz Vanguard 30 minutes

Estimated OG ~1051 ( a little out of range but so are IBUs)
IBU~34 (a little out of range, but I like a bit of hoppy bite)

Back