Toyota Highlander vs. Mazda CX-9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toyota Highlander vs. Mazda CX-9

• Toyota Highlander

• Mazda CX-9

• I would never buy either

Results are only viewable after voting.

johnnybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our last family car (Ford Freestyle) was in an accident and is a 'total loss'. We liked the capacity and flexibility of the third row and this weekend drove about 12 different makes/models of cross-overs and mini-vans. Our short list includes the Toyota Highlander and the Mazda CX-9. I've found a fair amount of review articles and both are pretty consistently in the top 5. But, I like to hear from actual owners and get their individual experiences. Does anyone have any pros / cons on either the specific models or with these companies? Stuff like mechanical reliability, value retainment, customer service, etc. We're looking at the mid-trim for each and are going to go the Certified Pre-Owned route. Thanks in advance.

Highlander -
Single guy, but I pack the vehicle with "stuff" - helping a friend with carpentry, it's table saw, ladders, drills, miter saw, etc. I've also put all manner of lawn implements in it. And sometimes it's 4 guys/4 golf bags....a trip to Lowe's - I use it like a covered truck as much as anything...

so, I didn't buy mine to look cool (Obviously!!!), and I didn't need it for family. But I gotta say, it handles well, the mileage is reasonable, the power is plenty and I've never had the first problem.

no regrets.
well, other than appearance. but the newer ones look pretty good.

I've got a Mazda 3... obviously smaller than what you are looking at, but I liked my Mazda experience enough to replace it with the exact same car when I had a total loss of the first one. The dealer didn't give me any trouble and the service guys are good. The car handles well and it has a good amount of features that come standard for a decent price. The design is well thought out with lots of details that were made for someone using the vehicle and not just a "hey, wouldn't this cheap plastic crap look cool!" I have only two dislikes - 1. It's a hatchback and the back seat is sloped in a way that makes the seat more comfortable, but really cuts into the storage room in the back. Watch out for that if storage is key (the CX-9 is likely different though). 2. The hatch gate handle is in a little recess under the gate and dirt/leaves/crud always get under there and your hand always gets dirty when opening the back. Not a huge deal, but still a dislike. Honestly, that's about all I can complain about.

How about doing something totally crazy and buy AMERICAN. :confused:

We've had many American cars and have had mediocre luck with them. I've had far better luck and enjoyment from foreign cars. It is what it is. And many of these cars are assembled here in the usa. Toyota has a huge factory in Kentucky, for example. Don't tell me that everything you purchase is american. I try when I can and when it makes sense. And I still love the usa! Cheers.

Uh, Toyota employs a metric **** ton of Americans. Prolly as many as Ford or GM. I could care less where the profits go because they ain't going to me.

I have an 03 Highlander with over 70K miles. It rides like a luxury car and is great in our New England weather. Fit and finish are very good and it has very comfortable seats considering yours truly has sciatica. The only thing that I wish was better is the gas mileage. I get around 20 MPG in mixed driving back and forth to work and slightly better on trips. It definitely has lots of room in the back as our Newfs fit easily and I can get 10 ft boards in if riding alone.

I vote highlander. We just bought my wife a brand new one. Thanks to 0% financing. Its pretty badass for what it is. I've owned toyotas since I was 17, I'm 31 now, and currently drive a certified preowned Tacoma. Drove the truck 10k miles in 5 weeks on a cross country trip that included Moab wheeling and I'd do it again tomorrow, but in the Highlander this time. It's s nice ride.

FWIW
I read recently that a Toyota is 90% American, whereas a Ford Mustang is 65%.

Toyota: keepin' Americans employed, (even if the "profits" go to Japan -)

Went with a Cert. Pre-Owned Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring with 23K miles. Bought it at the end of the month and negotiated a fantastic deal. Love this car and so glad it ain't new. Some other poor schlubb took it in the rear on that depreciation. Thanks to those who did respond. Cheers, JB

Good decision. Actually, either one would've been perfect.
They're both bulletproof, fun to drive, and both get good mileage.

Which model year did you buy? (Hope it's a 2008 or newer, as they come with a Japanese made engine...)

its funny you should say that. The cx9 is a Ford Edge, with some differences to the interior and body. Engine, drivetrain, suspension, electronics are all Ford Edge.

True, but it's manufactured in Japan.
So it's a Ford Edge, manufactured with Japanese care and quality.

Perfect! Congratulations then.
Let us know how you like it.:mug:

Well, so far we love it. I enjoy this car, as a used car with 23K miles on it, more than I did when we got our brandy new Ford Freestyle. Will let you know in another 12-24K miles if the love affair is still going strong. Drive safely, mates!

Will let you know in another 12-24K miles if the love affair is still going strong. Drive safely, mates!

Well, never drove an SUV, but I've owned 4 Mazdas so far (a Protege, 2 MX-3s, and an MX-6), and, let me tell you, the love affair usually gets stronger with time. Get ready to become a fan...:ban:

Inodoro_Pereyra said:
Well, never drove an SUV, but I've owned 4 Mazdas so far (a Protege, 2 MX-3s, and an MX-6), and, let me tell you, the love affair usually gets stronger with time. Get ready to become a fan...:ban:

Cool! Zoom zoom...

Back