The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to get tickets to a USMNT game this summer or early fall.
Good grief they are expensive (if available at all). You would think it was a Zeppelin reunion concert.

Have any of you guys looked into joining a supporters group? I am a member of the American Outlaws, and if you are looking for tix, that's a good way to go. Heading to Columbus in Sept for US v Mexico.

Just stumbled across thus thread. Hope there's room for another soccer nerd here...

Have any of you guys looked into joining a supporters group? I am a member of the American Outlaws, and if you are looking for tix, that's a good way to go. Heading to Columbus in Sept for US v Mexico.

Just stumbled across thus thread. Hope there's room for another soccer nerd here...

I'd love to join an AO chapter, but there isn't one in Knoxville, and the one time someone tried to form one, they couldn't meet the 25 member requirement or find a bar that would commit to showing every US game with sound.

Just curious, how did AO already get tickets for Columbus? I thought that Crew season ticket holders get first choice, and as far as I know, they haven't even opened up the ticket sales to them. From what I understand, these tickets are going to be very hard to come by for the average fan, barring an excessive amount of cash. This is actually the game I was looking into, since its relatively close to my city.

I believe AO gets a block of tix set aside from US Soccer. They haven't been released yet, but I will post something here when I hear something. We didn't have any issue getting tix for the Sept 11 game v Jamaica last fall, and those were not thru AO. Granted, this is the Hex v Mexico, so maybe demand is higher.

I used to be an AO member, but I stopped it for monitary reasons. Will probably join up next year.

No AO chapter in Reno... just Vegas......... boo

EDIT: That's "boo" for no chapter in Reno, as well as "boo" for Vegas.

Add one more soccer nerd to the thread!

Grannyknot, you might want to try joining our AO Chapter in Atlanta. I think we have several members from Alabama and Tennessee who use us since we are the closes chapter to get member benefits.

Can't wait for the Mexico game! Would love to meet up with some fellow soccer and homebrew enthusiasts up there!

Well I was planning on it but I've been sent to Elko, NV for work until roughly March =/

EDIT: My signature hasn't changed in three months. So much beer just sitting....

Well I was planning on it but I've been sent to Elko, NV for work until roughly March =/

EDIT: My signature hasn't changed in three months. So much beer just sitting....

Doh! That's too bad. I'll drink a couple of Hopside Down pints for ya. It is a double header so that means twice as much beer, right?

It's game day, boys! Hope you all have a watch party to attend. Should be another 3 points, which will put the Von Trapps in the drivers seat to win the Hex.

Predictions? I like 3-1 USA. Even short handed, Honduras is scrappy.

If any of you guys are around Milwaukee, the AO party at the Highbury is the place to be.

I watched a thing on the 20 worst sports accidents....lots of soccer players with bones sticking through their socks.

By my estimation we need two more points to qualify to make the trip to Brazil.

Hard to say. I haven't ran the full scenarios but I think we need 5.

If 4th place Honduras wins out they get 19 points, Then Costa Rica loses to Honduras and Mexico but beats US and Panam for 17 points. Mexico would also in that scenario wind up with 17 losing only to Honduras. Of course the real scenarios are more complext but if we draw against Costa Rica and Mexico we're pretty much there, then we'd just need to beat Jamaica. Personally I want to wrap it up as fast as possible and beating Costa Rica on the road and Mexico at home is the best scenario for that. If we win both of them then we're locked in and Panama and Jamaica are just for pride.

Also I have to say, and I hate saying this cause I sound like a homer, but is seems like most games the refs are screwing the Americans. The Hondurans were diving and charging into tackles all day but rarely got flagged for it. Not to mention the big handball miss today. If the US keeps winning while fighting the refs, they certainly earned their trip to Brazil.

Also I wonder where all the Klinsmann haters are now?

Hard to say. I haven't ran the full scenarios but I think we need 5.

If 4th place Honduras wins out they get 19 points, Then Costa Rica loses to Honduras and Mexico but beats US and Panam for 17 points. Mexico would also in that scenario wind up with 17 losing only to Honduras. Of course the real scenarios are more complext but if we draw against Costa Rica and Mexico we're pretty much there, then we'd just need to beat Jamaica. Personally I want to wrap it up as fast as possible and beating Costa Rica on the road and Mexico at home is the best scenario for that. If we win both of them then we're locked in and Panama and Jamaica are just for pride.

For the sake of this argument lets just assume Mexico and Costa Rica make it to Brazil. So that means the US has to just beat out Honduras and Panama and the three of us have 13, 7, and 6 points respectively so the magic number is 7pts. Round Seven I have the US drawing in Costa Rica, Honduras losing at Mexico, and Panama beating Jamaica so the points would USA-14, Panama-9 and Honduras-7 dropping the magic number for the US to five.

Round 8, I think the USA will draw at home with Mexico, and Honduras will beat Panama at home. USA-15, Honduras-10, Panama-9. Magic number is now 2pts. Round 9, I have the USA beating Jamaica, Panama loss to Mexico, Honduras beats Costa Rica at home. USA-18, Honduras-13, Panama-9. US clinches with a game to go.

Round 10, USA draws at Panama, Honduras wins at Jamaica. Final points: USA-19, Honduras-16, Panama-10. I think the 19pts will be enough to win the group as well.

Drawing at Costa Rica or home against Mexico isn't a given. Those 2 games could go sour for us easily. Hope we win both or draw both but I don't think it's a given.

The Hondurans were diving and charging into tackles all day but rarely got flagged for it.

holy **** yes, i was only able to catch the first half, but damn there was a lot of cheap BS going on..

some ridiculous nice opportunities for the US in this game, great team work and beautiful setups.. :rockin:

Also I have to say, and I hate saying this cause I sound like a homer, but is seems like most games the refs are screwing the Americans. The Hondurans were diving and charging into tackles all day but rarely got flagged for it. Not to mention the big handball miss today. If the US keeps winning while fighting the refs, they certainly earned their trip to Brazil.

Also I wonder where all the Klinsmann haters are now?

Just to be fair, Fabian Johnson probably should have been shown a yellow (or more), and Jozy & Tim Howard could have easily been shown cards as well. Except for the handball, I think this ref did a pretty good job. He was at least consistent about what he showed cards or called fouls for.

I don't recall anyone in this thread being a Klinsmann hater.

"Except for the handball, I think this ref did a pretty good job. He was at least consistent about what he showed cards or called fouls for."

Second that thought. The ref was not a factor in the outcome. Had not the Honduran goalkeeper been in the right position at least 3 other times, it should have been 4-0. It looked for a long while that their GK was going to be man of the match.

Enjoyed that there were 3 Seattle Sounders on the field last night. Looks like Brad Evans has another coach who likes him too. There is a fair contingent up here in Seattle that didn't like the guy as his game is very vanilla. The thing is, his vanilla game is very consistent and soccer sound, so coaches tend to love him. If he stays healthy, I think he is going to start for the side as an outside back. Pretty certain he will make the side as if anything, he's like a utility infielder who can catch and play outfield if asked.

I think Evens has done a serviceable job at RB and his versatility makes him a good bet to stick with the team going forward. However, the RB spot is still Steve Cherundolo's when healthy and/or Timmy Chandlers if he ever gets his head and heart into the game.

It's pretty well known that Klinsmann is using the Qualifiers to build up depth. Such as the work on defense.

Come next WC assuming they're healthy I fully expect the starting XI to be something like

RB - Cherundolo
CB - Gonzalez/Besler/Bocanegra - Carlos being the wild card.
LB - Chandler/Johnson
CM - Bradley
CM - Jones
RM - Donovan (though could be LM)
LM - Johnson/Zusi/Shea
CAM - Dempsey
ST - Altidore

Still obviously some questions.

It's pretty well known that Klinsmann is using the Qualifiers to build up depth. Such as the work on defense.

Come next WC assuming they're healthy I fully expect the starting XI to be something like

RB - Cherundolo
CB - Gonzalez/Besler/Bocanegra - Carlos being the wild card.
LB - Chandler/Johnson
CM - Bradley
CM - Jones
RM - Donovan (though could be LM)
LM - Johnson/Zusi/Shea
CAM - Dempsey
ST - Altidore

Still obviously some questions.

I think this is a very reasonable idea. I have a few changes/thoughts. Unless Gonzo really screws the pooch he will be starting next to Besler for years to come. Boca as of right now will be playing in the Scottish Second Division. If that contiunes he has no shot at coming back to the National Team in games that matter beyond the Gold Cup.

I like Fabian Johnson as a midfield better than the LB. The offense just runs better with him farther up the pitch. Rumors of a friendly in Bosnia before the Costa Rica game are circulating and if that is the case I would love to see Beasley play LB against one of the best attacking teams in the world. If he hold up I like him at that spot through the World Cup. Timmy Chandler could play that spot too.

I like Zusi at RM for the time being. I am not sold on Landon's form and consistency right now. I think a lot of people are stuck seeing him as the player he was in 2010 and not what he is now. I think he would be a great super sub and really be a killer coming off the bench for the last half hour. However if he can turn the flashes of his old self in a more regularly occurring bases then I think he could push Zusi out of the starting line up going into the spring next year.

Guys? gotta remember a lot of your favorites are in their 30's already, which is old by top flight standards. A lot of the players who've had their decade or so with the side are going to be left off. Jurgen was hired because these guys didn't make it work. Don't believe he's going to hang his hat on guys who didn't get it done before. His dinner, his groceries.

I think this is a very reasonable idea. I have a few changes/thoughts. Unless Gonzo really screws the pooch he will be starting next to Besler for years to come. Boca as of right now will be playing in the Scottish Second Division. If that contiunes he has no shot at coming back to the National Team in games that matter beyond the Gold Cup.

I like Fabian Johnson as a midfield better than the LB. The offense just runs better with him farther up the pitch. Rumors of a friendly in Bosnia before the Costa Rica game are circulating and if that is the case I would love to see Beasley play LB against one of the best attacking teams in the world. If he hold up I like him at that spot through the World Cup. Timmy Chandler could play that spot too.

I like Zusi at RM for the time being. I am not sold on Landon's form and consistency right now. I think a lot of people are stuck seeing him as the player he was in 2010 and not what he is now. I think he would be a great super sub and really be a killer coming off the bench for the last half hour. However if he can turn the flashes of his old self in a more regularly occurring bases then I think he could push Zusi out of the starting line up going into the spring next year.

Johnson is highly versatile which is why I didn't slot him in at LB or LM (could play RM too or RB) He's almost certainly gonna start. I'm pretty sure he's one of the 7 best outfield players on this team in terms of positions he can play. Where he plays in terms of LB vs LM to me depends on other midfielders more than anything else. Unless of course Chandler asserts himself as a top fullback (which I have doubts), assuming everyone is healthy and working hard we have a lot of outside mid options, Landycakes, Zusi, Shea, Holden, Williams, and young guys who may assert themselves into starting contention like Corona, Gatt and Gyau. And of course Klinsmann has shown that he's not afraid to put guys slightly out of position there like Johnson and Gomez. I imagine Johnson moving to LB because of having a glut of midfield options assuming Landycakes gets his **** in order, Holden stays healthy and regains form, and Shea keeps improving.

I don't think Bocanegra will be our starting CB but you never know. Wouldn't write him off simply cause you never know what could happen.

As far as Zusi vs Donovan, if Landon wants to start RM, he'll start RM. Love Zusi and what he's done for us, but he's not Landon. One thing I would consider though if we get Landon back is putting Zusi at CDM instead of Jones. I love Jermaine, but that is Zusi's natural position and if he cna be an effective creative type to go with Bradley's workman type, could make for a great pairing.

Reports in UK say Jozy might move to the PL with Sunderland being the front runner. Hull also with a previous connection.

Glad to hear his name being thrown around in the transfer window, but I hope he holds out till late summer for a better move.

Agreed. I would love to see him in the Prem, but it has to be the right place. I'd hate to see him back in a place where he is not getting service. That said, he has the prefect body and game for the epl, if he's in the right situation.

I the EPL would be one of the worst places he can end up at. The EPL is not very good at developing talent as a whole. The are a number teams that still us that direct long ball style that will not play to Jozy's strengths. And really the Champions League and Europa League spots are pretty much taken and there is very little turn over on them.

I think a move to the Bundesliga would be a better fit. The Bundesliga is much better at continuing to improve players. It's a move techinal league than EPL which will help Jozy but its not overly technical like La Liga. Plus he has a better chance of going to a club that will see some European play even if they are not there this year.

Back