Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwible204

Reaction score
I've searched around the forum but can't find any relevant posts. Can you guys/gals weigh in on the refractometers you have? I'm looking to buy one and want to know how precise the ~$50 ones are. I don't want to buy one just for the sake of it. My main reason for wanting one is for pulling samples during mashing/sparging to really dial in my system.

Make sure you know what you are going to use it for. If you plan on replacing your hydrometer with it, think again. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Make sure you know what you are going to use it for. If you plan on replacing your hydrometer with it, think again. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

my primary use is going to be for getting readings during the mash/sparge and after the boil. i'll still use the hydrometer post-fermentation.

Yeah I guess that is what I will use mine for. Santa brought me one this year and I only used it on two beers. One, a Porter that was fermenting and another Pale that I brewed that day.

The Porter reading was 10 points off. The Pale reading was right on the money. This got me to reading up on why and I found that the refractometer is only kind of a measure of sugars in solution. Once you throw lactose and/or dextrine into something you might as well use an anal thermometer to get a reading. I was a little disappointed to find this out after the fact.

Or again, maybe I am doing it wrong.

got mine off ebay as well, and mine has the scale that shows Plato on one side and SG on the other side of scale so no chart comparing needed.

I've searched around the forum but can't find any relevant posts. Can you guys/gals weigh in on the refractometers you have? I'm looking to buy one and want to know how precise the ~$50 ones are. I don't want to buy one just for the sake of it. My main reason for wanting one is for pulling samples during mashing/sparging to really dial in my system.

I would not think of a refractometer as being precise. The scale is much too small to read with a high level of precision. If you want precision, use a hydrometer.

However a refractometer is a fantastic tool for taking quick snap shots of your wort prior to fermentation. It's real talent is the ability to quickly test very hot samples. It's fantastic for taking readings of the mash and boil. This is something a hydrometer will struggle with.

I also recomend the cheap ones off ebay. This is the one I have

I've tried and tried to get mine calibrated to read fermented beer. Unsuccessfully.

The only time I use mine is when the wort is hot, i.e., post boil, and during boil. Once the wort is cooled, it's hydro only for me.

Same here. I bought it knowing that and therefore I'm happy. Refractometer for OG and hydrometer for FG.

There is a conversion tool in Beersmith for using a refractometer with fermenting and finished beer. It requires that you know the OG in order to do the conversion.

I believe there are also some online calculators that will also do the conversion.

Have you guys tried the "refractometer" tool in BeerSmith to correct fermented readings (I assume other software has that too, but not sure)? I've had pretty good luck with it, within a couple points anyway. You plug in your OG and the fermented beer gravity and it gives you the SG. I double check my FGs with a hydrometer, but that refractometer tool is pretty helpful for checking the status.

EDIT: ha, what maida said!

there is also a spreadsheet morebeer that allows you to use the refractometer during the entire fermentation. Do a search on here you will find many threads on it.

Back