What wheat needs a cereal mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
I hate to double post in forums, but I'm looking to order ingredients soon and would like to figure this out. I'm looking to do Radical Brewing's Tangerine Porter, and it calls for "unmalted soft red wheat flakes". It then calls to combine the unmalted grains with some 6-row and throw into a cereal mash. Firstly, I've been looking around and all I can find are either red wheat, or wheat flaked. Which should I go for? The red wheat looks like the berries, so they definitely aren't flaked. But flaked wheat iirc doesn't need a cereal mash, so I don't know exactly what Mosher is calling for in the recipe. Also, do I need to include the flaked oats in the cereal mash?

Has anyone by chance done this brew yet? I'm still trying to decide which Belgian yeast strain would best complement the ingredients.

I've never used red wheat flakes, only flaked wheat. I've never done a cereal mash with flaked wheat, so if you use that, I wouldn't worry about it either. Don't mill the flaked wheat if that's what you use; just throw it in the mash and mix it up with the rest of the bill. Hope this helps you out a little bit. Throw out more if you have any other questions.

No cereal mash needed for the flaked wheat you buy from the HBS store. The roller process used in making it flaked gelatinizes the starches eliminating the need.

Flaked oats and flaked wheat don't need a cereal mash, but in my experience your extract efficiency will improve if you do one. When I'm feeling lazy I skip it and just add another half a pound to make up for the lower efficiency.

Back