Mead and Oak Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
Ok, so Ive been seeing alot of new oak barrels offerd on ebay with the 3 liter being most common, so my question is: What mead would benefit the most from oak aging..all? some? I commonly make bluenberry, JAOM and some varients plus show mead and Apple Cyser...so which of these would get the most out of some oak aging?

seems like a lot of work compared to using oak chips for a batch like a 5 G batch. JMO.

I am planning to oak my blackberry melomel a bit with some medium toast french oak chips

Also. besides putting it into an oak barrel, I dont have a clue how to do it otherwise....

Also. besides putting it into an oak barrel, I dont have a clue how to do it otherwise....

They sell little wood chips at the usual online places or your LHBS. You can put them in for a few weeks/months before final racking depending on what you're going for. Large surface area of the chips allows the process to happen much more quickly.

yep, or some people put them in a metal perforated tube or bag so they can easily pull them from the carboy as opposed to another racking.

I think cyser does very well with oak, but I also like oaking blackberry and pyments - and cherry does very well too. Oak can be used in the primary, secondary, and during bulk aging. Try different oaks and roasts in the same mead. All oaks are not created equal though - some are better than others. Stavin oak "beans" have a very good reputation.

I think cyser does very well with oak, but I also like oaking blackberry and pyments - and cherry does very well too. Oak can be used in the primary, secondary, and during bulk aging. Try different oaks and roasts in the same mead. All oaks are not created equal though - some are better than others. Stavin oak "beans" have a very good reputation.

Thanks Summer....so is there a typical amount of chips / to mead? Weight wise? or is there some other criteria? Also, should I taste test it every couple of weeks for taste? I mean, I have NO experience whatsoever with oak aging..so I dont even know the basics of it as it pertains to mead and taste

I was thinking of oaking 2 meads I have going right now. I have a blueberry melomel and a cinnamon cyser. I have 2 types of oak available. Medium French Oak cubes and Light American Oak chips. Which should I use with which.

My thinking is to use the Light American Oak chips with the blueberry to add vanilla flavors and the Medium Toast French Oak cubes with the Cyser to add tannins. Any flaws in my thinking? What would you do?

Thanks Summer....so is there a typical amount of chips / to mead? Weight wise? or is there some other criteria? Also, should I taste test it every couple of weeks for taste? I mean, I have NO experience whatsoever with oak aging..so I dont even know the basics of it as it pertains to mead and taste

Always start small - you can add more later. Start with an ounce or two in five gallons and, yes, taste it every 2-3 weeks. Allow it to be slightly more oaky than you like since the taste will moderate.

There is alot of great advice here and thanks to all! I feel better about giving this a go very soon and im looking forward to the results!

Back