Adjusting gravity with Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hi, all. New Beersmith user here about to embark on my first all-grain experience.

I'm planning on checking my gravity after the mash, to see if I need to add any DME to get it right. However, the recipe also calls for candi sugar and turbinado sugar. How do I use Beersmith to account for what my gravity should be after the mash, but before I add the other sugars? And how do I know how much DME to add if I'm low?

Thanks,

CB

you could make up the recipe in brew smith with preboil volumes rather than post boil and without the candi sugar, see what the gravity is. then add the sugar to the recipe until you get the appropriate finishing gravity you want (accounting for boil off) and add that amount of sugar to the boil.

On the brew sheet it will give you the estimated gravity of your mash. It doesn't show on the main screen but does on the brew sheet.

On the brew sheet it will give you the estimated gravity of your mash. It doesn't show on the main screen but does on the brew sheet.

Ah, that sounds like it will be useful.

And another question...this is a 3-gallon batch, but Beersmith has boil volume at 1.79 gallons. What gives?

Beersmith will adjust your boil volume based on the evaporation (default is 9% per hour) and amount of trub. You can uncheck "set boil volume based on equipment" or adjust your evaporation rate accordingly.

Ah, that sounds like it will be useful.

And another question...this is a 3-gallon batch, but Beersmith has boil volume at 1.79 gallons. What gives?

Are you sure that isn't the volume of water you are supposed to collect from the mash tun? I know that many recipies have you collect x amount of water and then add xx amount to get to target boil volume. The spreadsheets in Beersmith are no different.

I also found that it really helps by inputting your actual equipment and through several test runs figure out your actual evaporation rate. Using the evap rate as tested, trub left over, and cooling loss, I have been able to get the boil volume needed almost perfect for 5 gallons post cooling in my aluminum pot.

Are you sure that isn't the volume of water you are supposed to collect from the mash tun? I know that many recipies have you collect x amount of water and then add xx amount to get to target boil volume. The spreadsheets in Beersmith are no different.

I also found that it really helps by inputting your actual equipment and through several test runs figure out your actual evaporation rate. Using the evap rate as tested, trub left over, and cooling loss, I have been able to get the boil volume needed almost perfect for 5 gallons post cooling in my aluminum pot.

That sounds like a good idea, but I can tell you I'd never spend the time doing it.

Latest posts

Back