AHS Holiday Ale Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the AHS kits...Im actually moving to all grain as soon as I can scratch together 80 to 100 bucks for a decent 10 gallon brew kettle (already built myself a mash tun)

Ive been browsing around for my first AG kits on AHS and have been looking for a good holiday style beer to brew in sept/oct so it will be aged well come xmas time

have you looked at this one yet? A good bit more expensive but this one sounds delicious too...if anyone has brewed the link below or the special holiday ale before please let me know how they turned out :mug:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_173&products_id=11210

I have the Holiday Ale mini-mash kit sitting in my AHS cart; I'm sure that it will be a great beer since every kit that I purchased from AHS has been outstanding.

I brewed my own spiced ale recipe last year and it turned out great - similar to this but with sweet orange and no cloves. I'll be doing it again this year.

I made the AHS Holiday Ale last year. Brought it to the future in-laws for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. Even my mother in law who usually won't drink beer was asking for more. Its a nice drinkable all around holiday brew. Went perfect with Thanksgiving food. I bought ingredients to make up about 10 gallons of this again for the holidays, I figure why mess around.

Yeah, it looks really tasty ... a nice amber ale with Christmasy spices... think it'll be good for my BMC-drinking in-laws.

The recipe looks pretty good. One of the reviewers mentioned that the spice flavor goes away after a few months. I was thinking of kegging it and swapping it in and out of my draft lineup for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Do you think if I brewed this in September or October that it will still be spicy enough for Christmas?

I'd probably not brew it too far in advance. I think I'll also add a little more spice to the mix when I get it.

I brewed that one last summer and let it condition until Christmas. Then gave it away for presents. I loved it. The spices had really blended well and it just went over good.

ibbones, would you consider the spiciness to be just right, or high/low? Also, did you find it to be an amber that would be "light" enough for BMC drinkers to enjoy?

I got a PM asking me to post my recipe - this came out really well and was easy to do.

6.6 lbs Extra Light LME
1/2 lb #10L crushed crystal
1 oz Simcoe - beginning of boil
1 oz Cascade @ 30 minutes
2 oz Amarillo @ five minutes left or end of boil
Irish moss @ 45 minutes into the boil (highly optional)

While cooling - hops bag with
1 oz sweet orange peel
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp ginger

All of these, I bought fresh at Whole Foods - use good fresh spices for this.

Take the bag out when you pour into the fermenter. Feel free to go a little stronger or lighter on either hops or spices. This blend came out nicely balanced for my taste, but I like a hoppy beer. .

Safale 04 English Ale yeast

This was REALLY good and I'll be making another batch this year - maybe two. It was exceptional with holiday dinners.

Steve, I'm not familiar with the flavor of cardamon....what does it give to the beer, flavor-wise?

Just wondering if anybody has ever bought the Special Holiday Ale from AHS before?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_173&products_id=354

Sounds really good, just what I'm looking for to brew this coming Christmas for the family.

Would appreciate any comments from anyone who's had this kit before!
I made this kit last fall to have it bottle conditioned and ready to drink by Christmas. I primed it with brown sugar instead of dextrose. Most everyone in my family and the in-laws liked it, even some BMC drinkers. And my wife, who knows good beer, loved it. Unfortunately, I found the clove flavor a little overpowering but it's possible that was a result of clove esters from the fermentation instead of actual cloves in the recipe.

All in all, it was a crowd-pleaser. AHS does have another holiday ale recipe that I might try this year instead, since it doesn't have quite as many spices.

Steve, I'm not familiar with the flavor of cardamon....what does it give to the beer, flavor-wise?

Hard to describe flavors - best to just go sneak a whiff at a grocery store. Short version, it worked fine. I'll ponder this, maybe sniff my supply and see if I can find the right words.

ibbones, would you consider the spiciness to be just right, or high/low? Also, did you find it to be an amber that would be "light" enough for BMC drinkers to enjoy?
I thought it was really good. Had a bit of small spice aftertast but not too strong. I am thinking about doing it again because everyone liked it.

Back