Read this before you buy from Kegkits.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/online-ordering-rant-100024/

i ordered January 13th, and this past thursday April 9th i got my single keg. and to top it off it doesnt have a pressure relief valve in the lid, so i dont have an easy way of purging the CO2. i think the only reason i got my keg was because i ended up contacting my credit card company to get the charge removed.

i understand Tom (owner) is busy, but it took what like 4 months for me to get my full order, 2 months in he told me he was going to refund my money and never did. and to top it off, he is just this busy busy busy guy if you talk to him, but i get my AHA emails everyday and he is always responding to people, he even started his own forum on his webpage. i really dont like the guy or the company. i went with them because i always use AHS or Northerbrewer and figured it wouldnt hurt to expand and see who else is out there, and i thought some of his prices were pretty good. so now i use AHS or NB, and also a new place opened up here in Louisville, and the owner is great and its a mile from where i work.

Yeah after finally getting my two kegs, both of them didn't have pressure relief valves also. I probably would't have ordered them knowing that, but my major issue is that I'm stuck with a broken regulator that I cant return and not returning my calls and emails is more than just bad customer service.

Yeah after finally getting my two kegs, both of them didn't have pressure relief valves also. I probably would't have ordered them knowing that, but my major issue is that I'm stuck with a broken regulator that I cant return and not returning my calls and emails is more than just bad customer service.

Personally, I would give him one more chance to respond -- give him a deadline of a few days before which you are going to dispute the charge with your credit card company. It sounds like you got a defective kegging system all around, and I believe that was what you paid for. A problematic regulator is one thing, but with multiple problems like this, there is no way that kegging system is going to work as is. I would be seeking a full refund or get the charge reversed by your CC company.

What he does is get enough orders to so he can have the minimum quantity needed for him to order.....It may take 1 week or 4....Tom seems to be a pretty good guy, but he runs Kegkits part-time....

i would not recommend ordering from him unless you live in Huntsville and can pick your order up in person....

Sad, as he has decent prices, and most of the time a wide variety of products...

But in a forum setting there is too much risk in calling someone out that it is over the top, emotion filled, and not always justified and the damage done to the vendor cant always be repaired.

Isnt that what joining a forumis about? Getting the scoop on vendors(good and bad) ingredients ideas etc... Besides, customer service in america sucks anymore! I travel alot and get to sample other countries customer service, ours sucks!!!! We are rood, inconsiderate and in some cases just turds. So i say when one screws ya on a deal get on here and give him a bashing, hell even ruin his business, most of them dont deserve customers because of the crap we have to do to spend our hard earned dollar with!!!

Just my humble opinings

What he does is get enough orders to so he can have the minimum quantity needed for him to order.....It may take 1 week or 4....Tom seems to be a pretty good guy, but he runs Kegkits part-time....

i would not recommend ordering from him unless you live in Huntsville and can pick your order up in person....

Sad, as he has decent prices, and most of the time a wide variety of products...

if thats the case about getting enough orders so he has a minimum, he should say on the website that keg orders could take ___ weeks. i'd been fine knowing that and wouldnt have been upset if my order took 2-5 weeks if i'd know that. rather it took 4 months! plus i emailed him a question before my order and it was answered within 24 hours, after the order...well you just had to catch him on the phone. i'm sure its hard to run a business part time when you have a full time job, but if he has time to answer AHA questions and send out emails with news/updates he should have time to answer why after a month i haven't seen my order yet i'm looking at my credit card bill and having to pay it. at first i thought the order might have been yanked off the front porch by some punk kids. He told me it shipped yet could never give me a UPS tracking number, and it turned out it never shipped. personal that right there told me what kind of person he was.

But in a forum setting there is too much risk in calling someone out that it is over the top, emotion filled, and not always justified and the damage done to the vendor cant always be repaired.

Isnt that what joining a forumis about? Getting the scoop on vendors(good and bad) ingredients ideas etc... Besides, customer service in america sucks anymore! I travel alot and get to sample other countries customer service, ours sucks!!!! We are rood, inconsiderate and in some cases just turds. So i say when one screws ya on a deal get on here and give him a bashing, hell even ruin his business, most of them dont deserve customers because of the crap we have to do to spend our hard earned dollar with!!!

Just my humble opinings

I respectfully disagree with this. I dont think this is a place to unduly "ruin his business". That was my point. There is a big difference between offering constructive advice on vendors to fellow members and actively trying to ruin a guys business.

I think you will find all the vendors that support this site helpful and accommodating to the members on HBT. If we resort to baseless emotion and vengeful retribution we wont have such great vendors we can turn to on this forum.

I respectfully disagree with this. I dont think this is a place to unduly "ruin his business". That was my point. There is a big difference between offering constructive advice on vendors to fellow members and actively trying to ruin a guys business.

I think you will find all the vendors that support this site helpful and accommodating to the members on HBT. If we resort to baseless emotion and vengeful retribution we wont have such great vendors we can turn to on this forum.

+1. In a case where a vendor is notorious for bad customer service, its worth warning people. Some people are too quick to jump the gun. Take the slow shipping incident during AHS's storewide 10% off sale. Forrest's sales went through the roof. He (admittedly) didn't anticipate the influx of orders. In that case people should have just inquired to the vendor about the slow shipping instead of the many "AHS WTF SLOW SHIPPING *&@***&*" threads.

Kegkits is not only slow with kegs..... I will not buy anything from this place again either. Prices are great....but you know the saying....you get what you pay for. Customer service is not included in the price, nor the bare minimum in speed. Took several calls and a month to get one regulator actually shipped to me. Always..."going out tomorrow..."......not til a nasty message (stopped answering my calls) did the item finally show up. As far as bringing this up on a forum.... I usually don't bad mouth companies...(having owned one and worked for several other small businesses) but this place just annoyed me and if my experience can help someone else....I'm all for it.

Unfortunately, this seems to be his regular way of handling business. There have been several threads about his customer service and the way he handles transactions.

Great customer service until you pay him, the he won't answer emails or the phone messages.

I for one will not use him unless I go by the store personally.

check out kegconnection.com.. they were very good to work with and I have plans to upgrade my setup soon.

I live in the Huntsville area and have purchased the majority of my brewing equipment from kegkits. Please don't try to ruin his business. Kegkits is the only decent LHBS we have around here! I can understand the frustration over the delays. However, Tom works full-time as a programmer I believe. He is usually only at the store on Friday evenings and part of the day Saturday, and that's assuming he doesn't have other family issues getting in the way. He runs the store completely by himself. While that doesn't excuse slow feedback and poor customer service, it may at least help explain it somewhat. Also, I'm not sure how much of the keg equipment he actually keeps in inventory. I went out there last weekend and he had run out of about half the hop varieties listed on his site. It's possible his filling of the keg orders is dependent on him making a trip out to his suppliers, and as a one-man operation, he can't do that as frequently as you (or he) might like.

He should make that perfectly clear that this is a sideline for him. No problem with that, my problem with guys like that are the fact that the check clears weeks before the order ships. Its not right. If they cant handle the volume on occasion and are honest and let you know what is going on, it happens. But, telling this guy his order shipped, finding out weeks later it didnt, then the stuff dont work. Come on! Not his first Rodeo on here either. Firs screw up, it happens. Even a few screw ups if he is honest, OK. But you lie to me, i call you out and let every human i know what a POS you are and the character you have. I dont deal with liars or people without integrity. They can starve to the point they cant make sperm and then they cant contaminate the gene pool the rest of us are forced to swim in.!!!!!!!!!!

Im not a really opinionated person though, just the first thing that popped in mymind. Sorry, filter was off today.

Yeah, well as far as I'm concerned he is scamming us all to some extent. His website is very misleading and contains false information. If he is charging customers first and then purchasing the products with their money and waiting to receive them and then ship them to the customer, why does it say that all items ship within 48 hours? I wouldn't have bought anything from him if I knew this! He only answers or responds to the messages that he wants to! I will never purchase anything from this conman and will let everyone know how horrible his business practices are. He might be a great guy and upfront if you visit his place in person but he is taking advantage of his mail order customers. I mean my credit card was charges 2 hours after I ordered online and it took over a month and a half to receive over $250 worth of merchandise. I can see some stuff maybe being out of stock but there is no way all of it could of been. This guy should be shut down!

Preach on brother!!!! (not that i'm instigating) It has become a standard in america not to praise the exeptional, and not to hurt the feelings of the incompetent(Spellers to). I say burn him (metaphorically of course) at the stake in the town square. Either improve the service, or get the hell out of the service industry!

sadly, I can join this long list. i haven't been waiting months for a couple of faucets, only weeks, but i agree that it is false advertising to say you will ship in a certain amount of time. i emailed kegkits with no response. i will email him one more time, if no answer in a reasonable amount of time i will call my cc company. if you can't handle the net business, get off the net. and i will research on this forum companies before ordering again.

I ordered nearly $400 worth of stuff about 6 weeks ago. I emailed 3 times to see where he went with my money, and never got a reply. I filed a dispute with paypal and got a response from Tom the next day. He assured me he was legit, but very busy and was waiting on my faucets to come in. Fine, but where was the email telling me this?

He then shipped my stuff a few days later, minus the kegs, saying that they were on backorder. I'm still waiting for those, and he has not responded to my last 3 messages asking approximately when I can expect them. Paypal will automatically close the dispute soon, meaning I will have no further recourse. So if I don't get either the kegs, or a tracking number within a few days, I'll be escalating the issue and hopefully get at least a partial refund that I can use to support someone that deserves my business.

My issue is that he leaves you hanging. A customer should never have to get a third party involved just to find out if he was scammed or not. Nice guy or not, his practices are dishonest, misleading, and unacceptable. I'll be shopping elsewhere from now on.

Wow and I was going to send my friend that way. Now it sounds like he is off my list looks like they are off my list permantly!

Wow and I was going to send my friend that way. Now it sounds like he is off my list looks like they are off my list permantly!

If starting this thread can save someone at least a fraction of the hassle I have had to deal with and they can give their hard earned money to someone that can appreciate it, I feel a little better about being had by this dishonest crook!

That's pretty much where I am at now too - I tried defending him about a year or so ago on this forum, but it seems like more of the same lately.

WOW you guys got your stuff inside two weeks?? I ordered my refurbished corney kegs on 3/1.... its now 4/20 and I'm still waiting. Not only does Tom not return phone calls or emails he also doesn't follow up on his word. He told me on 3/20 (he actually responded to my email) that he'd credit my card for my kegs and I'm still waiting. I left numerous messages and emails since then asking him to do what he said he would and he just doesn't get back to me. I'm now having to dispute this with my bank. Stay away from this guy! I don't care if stuff comes late, just don't take my money and not tell me when to expect my stuff and then lie about trying to fix it! Kegkits.com = DOODOO!! :mad: I finally just gave up and bought the kegs here locally. What a waste of time!

i just received my order 2.5 weeks after i ordered it. so not as bad as some others, but i won't go to kegkits again.

i bought mne from beverage factory testerday. Got order confirmation in 1 hour. Said everything was in stockand was supposed to shipUPS ground today. I'll keep ya posted! I looked a Keg connection to, they have a good rep from what i see, and a damn nice selection. By the way i went with a single tap(Perlik) and a 5lb C02 for under 200 with shipping.

Thanks for the heads up. I know where not to buy.

Primary: IPA, Orange Honey Wheat
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Pale Ale

De`ja`-Brew
We have all been beer before.

I ordered a couple kegs in Feb, still not here emailed him and said i was going to contact my credit card company to reverse the charges. He emailed back that day and said that it would go out soon or he could just cancel it for me and refund, I chose the later no more worrying if/when they will be here.

I ordered a couple kegs in Feb, still not here emailed him and said i was going to contact my credit card company to reverse the charges. He emailed back that day and said that it would go out soon or he could just cancel it for me and refund, I chose the later no more worrying if/when they will be here.

So did you get the chargeback, or did he just give you more lip service?

Warning!! He did the same thing to me. On 3/20 he said he'd have no problem crediting my card. I followed up with two more emails asking him to do it. I also called/ left a couple of voice messages. Nothing! I kept documentation of all of this and took it up with my bank. Today I just got news that my bank credited me back the money. Take that Tom!!! Him telling you he'll do something doesn't mean he'll do it. Your not out of the woods yet!

a note about kegkits... i know the guy that owns it, and he runs it part time... on the weekends.. it took him a bit to figure out how to get everything taken care of..... if you are gonna call him, only call him on the weekends, the hours are posted on the website..... it also helps the brew scene in alabama where homebrewing is not illegal, i have spent between my friends and I, over $1,500 dollars at his store, he is an honest guy who does his best to give the best prices.... just thought i would add that, he takes care of his customers, it just may not be as fast as some of the big guys... as far as ordering, i would just call him on the saturdays, and ask him... its lame that you have to go through this, but if you want the cheap prices.... its kinda how he operates.... if not, i would go to some of the big guys

a note about kegkits... i know the guy that owns it, and he runs it part time... on the weekends.. it took him a bit to figure out how to get everything taken care of..... if you are gonna call him, only call him on the weekends, the hours are posted on the website..... it also helps the brew scene in alabama where homebrewing is not illegal, i have spent between my friends and I, over $1,500 dollars at his store, he is an honest guy who does his best to give the best prices.... just thought i would add that, he takes care of his customers, it just may not be as fast as some of the big guys... as far as ordering, i would just call him on the saturdays, and ask him... its lame that you have to go through this, but if you want the cheap prices.... its kinda how he operates.... if not, i would go to some of the big guys

In my experience, he doesn't answer the phone, doesn't return calls, doesn't answer email order status questions, tells you incorrect shipping information and the "cheap" prices might save you around 8% - 10% of what the other vendors charge but will take literally a month to get to your door.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/kegkits-com-take-runner-68340/

im just saying ive not had a problem, of course i can go pick stuff up from him directly at the store, its an hour and a half drive, or have my buddy do it

If someone decides that they are going to run a store (of any kind), they need to provide a little bit of service and at least a half-assed commitment to the customer. Taking people's money and then 'getting to it when I get to it' is not something to be defended. Doubtful this dood will stay in business keeping up this kind of practice.

If someone decides that they are going to run a store (of any kind), they need to provide a little bit of service and at least a half-assed commitment to the customer. Taking people's money and then 'getting to it when I get to it' is not something to be defended. Doubtful this dood will stay in business keeping up this kind of practice.

Lots of people on the internet to make the mistake once.

So I ordered a new 3 gallon keg with a couple of quick connects from KegKits.com on April 21. Its only been a week, which apparently is not a long time for this guy to ship things.

Should I continue to wait, or start hassling him via email and phone. Is that what it takes to get this guy to ship?

I don't mind waiting as long as I know it will come. They/Pay Pal has already charged my credit card.

Also 3 gallon kegs are very rare, and even USED ones are going for $100 plus on ebay if even at all. I only paid a little over $100 for a BRAND NEW one. I wonder if those even exist.

Your help much appreciated.

I have sent a friendly email to him asking about my order status yesterday, no response so far.

Thanks,
John the Brewer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back