Substitute for Bitter orange peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syvmn

Reaction score
Im brewing this wheat tomorrow

6.5lbs wheat
4.5lbs 2-row
1lb flaked oats
1lb flaked wheat
1lb carapils

1oz tett@60
1oz tett@1

WY1010

I forgot to grab bitter orange peel from the brew store. Do grocery stores carry this, or something analogous? Thanks.

BTW its a heavy wheat I concocted, quite malty with great head retention, very tasty. Something like 7.5%

It wouldn't be an exact match, but you can just dry out some Tangerine peel, or some other thin skinned orange-type citrus. For orange flavor it'll come close enough in a pinch.

McCormick, I think they're called, the guys that always have the huge spice display in grocery stores, has orange peel. It's easy to find, here in my neck of the woods, anyway. We just did a Wit with it.

zoebisch01 said:
It wouldn't be an exact match, but you can just dry out some Tangerine peel, or some other thin skinned orange-type citrus. For orange flavor it'll come close enough in a pinch.

You don't get the orangy flavor of a wit from the orange peel ... that comes from the corriander that's added. Orange peel most oftenly gives a bitter-spiciness to beer with an ever-so-slight citrus flavor.

I've used dried tangerine and orange rinds before. You could probably just get some oranges, peel them and dry the rhines in the over for several hours.

Latest posts

Back