Belgian Blond Ale SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed I grabbed the wrong yeast. I grabbed wlp 550 instead of the 400. My question is can I still use it for this recipe.

Indian_villager said:
I'm brewing a batch today with T-58 yeast. Any input on that?
Northern Brewers seems to include T58 as the dry yeast option on most of their Belgian kits, so I suspect this would work out just fine, but I'd be interested in opinions on this as well. I have a package of T58 in my fridge that I have been considering using on this recipe. Keep us posted as to how it turns out.

So I brewed this almost 2 weeks ago and its still actively fermenting. Im used to fermentation slowing down usually around a week. Should I leave longer and then bottle?

do you think the longer in the primary the better the beer will be? i'm in no rush racking to a secondary or leaving on cake yeast in primary.

if i left it in the primary for an extra 5 weeks would that be bad? advice?

So I made 2 batches with T-58. I don't know if I over cooked the mash (150 for 10 mins then raised to 155) or hit the limit of the yeast because both batches finished around 1.015. Which puts it close to the listed attenuation level of T-58. The delicious belgian esters are present, and it is a tasty beer though!

Batch 1 was in primary for 1 month and then bottled.

Batch 2 was in primary for 2 weeks and just went into secondary to see if that can push it further.

I'm trying this one today with WYeast 3068 (German Weihenstephan Weizen). I think I'll add a 15 min .5 ounce hop addition, as well, or a dry hop. Probably with Citra, or more Williamette. Now that I've been brewing a little while, and know my own tastes it better, it seems like it's almost a waste to not hop up almost any beer.

Got this in a primary now, and it's way darker than expected. Does it clear up a lot when the yeast and proteins drop out?

I'm trying this one today with WYeast 3068 (German Weihenstephan Weizen). I think I'll add a 15 min .5 ounce hop addition, as well, or a dry hop. Probably with Citra, or more Williamette. Now that I've been brewing a little while, and know my own tastes it better, it seems like it's almost a waste to not hop up almost any beer.

Got this in a primary now, and it's way darker than expected. Does it clear up a lot when the yeast and proteins drop out?

It appears much darker in the primary (as usual with most beers). Mine appeared like an amber color in the primary for 4 weeks, and 1 week later in the keg after pulling a sampler it is definitely very pale and delicious, still cloudy but it is a wheat beer and it will clear a little with extended conditioning. SWMBO wouldnt let me finish the sample i pulled, so that's a good sign. It's gonna be hard to wait one more week for carbing to complete.

I just brewed this Saturday morning. I am fermenting it in a good old fashioned "ale pail" plastic bucket. I took heed to your warning about the ferocious fermentation and used a blow off tube. Well.. this sucker had so much pressure in it that it actually cracked open the bucket lid seal, and was dripping down the sides of the bucket. Holy crap! The lid is almost a dome shape due to the pressure inside the bucket. The blow off tube sounds like a motor boat in the bucket of water... hahaha

I brewed this Sunday...pitched Bell Oberon yeast I harvested and stepped up a couple times during the week. Fermentation started in about 12 hours and is rockin! My OG was a bit low at 52. I think I need to upgrade my mash tun cooler to include a false bottom....but I'm looking forward to this beer! Thinking about adding a little blackberry extract to a portion at bottling...hmmm?

Subd and brewed :)

1401772022842.jpg

1401772038918.jpg

1401772063892.jpg

Finally got this one kegged. Only been about a month since I brewed it. Tastes great, but needs a little time to mature. Really easy to drink. Should be well liked by the friends and family. Thanks for the great recipe, BM.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Extract brewer here (for the moment at least): Went ahead and purchased the extract variation from MoreBeer, but wanted to confirm with others that this recipe was correct?

5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
0.50 lb Wheat Liquid Extract
5.00 lb Wheat, Flaked
1.00 oz Williamette

Specifically, the Flaked Wheat @ 5pds?

Plan is to use WLP410, but I saw a comment that the 5 pds of Flaked Wheat might be off and wanted to verify?

The original extract recipe has a typo. 5 lb wheat is a bit much. I tried the following:

3 lbs. Wheat DME

2 lbs. Extra Lght DME

8 oz. Caramel 10°L

8 oz. Flaked Wheat

4 oz. Caravienne malt

1 oz hops (Williamette)

Turned out great.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewed up 10 gallons of this yesterday with two packs of T-58. When I left for work this morning they were both bubbling vigorously.

Brewed this today for the 3rd time and used Danstar Munich Wheat Yeast. I've not read particularly good things about this yeast but I had it so I used it. I'd welcome thoughts if others have experience with this yeast. I did hydrate it and it was very healthy.

I also sub'd the .25 caravienne with Munich 10l..it's what I had :)

Most importantly...I discovered my thermometer is off by about 10 degrees... So I've been mashing around 143 for the last several batches. Can't wait to brew my last several batches again to see what difference a correct mash temp will do ... :)

My wife loves this beer...

I made this and it got good (25 out of 50) reviews in the ky state fair. I entered it as a Belgian blonde but one guy said it may have did better as a 16-c saison. But both said good beer. Not bad for my 4th ever batch that I've brewed and I'm new to kegging also

Made this yesterday and still waiting for the WLP400 to wake up and get to work. Made a 1litre starter and still no sign of fermentation at 36 hour mark. Patiently waiting for signs of life.
The starter smelled fantastic and I am already looking forward to the beer this yeast is going to make.

Brewed this today for the 3rd time and used Danstar Munich Wheat Yeast. I've not read particularly good things about this yeast but I had it so I used it. I'd welcome thoughts if others have experience with this yeast. I did hydrate it and it was very healthy.

I also sub'd the .25 caravienne with Munich 10l..it's what I had :)

Most importantly...I discovered my thermometer is off by about 10 degrees... So I've been mashing around 143 for the last several batches. Can't wait to brew my last several batches again to see what difference a correct mash temp will do ... :)

My wife loves this beer...

So I've been drinking this and it's good. I like IPA's so I'll probably never be blown away by a blonde ale, but this is good. I did a heffe and this Belgian blonde with the Munich Wheat yeast and kept fermenter in water bath ~66F....this yeast gives a good bit of clove at that temp which I don't mind in this beer at all.

I brewed another batch of this yesterday and used the WLP400..it's bubbling steady in my water bath :ban: I'm going to ad a little blackberry extract at bottling time...SWMBO loves blackberry in this:D

Thanks for the recipe!

Brewed a batch this on Saturday. I usually use either smack packs or dry yeast, this was the first time using liquid yeast. Since the vial said to just let it warm up for a few hours, shake and pitch, that is what I did.

All of my other brews showed signs of fermentation within 12 hours, so far about 48 hours into it and still nothing. I picked up another vial on the way home from the office so figured I would get a starter going with some water, DME, and yeast nutrient/energizer and toss that in once it gets going. Even if the yeast already in there takes off by then, I figured it could use some company.

Just brewed this, unfortunately my LHBS isn't very good and didn't have caravienne or caramel 10 so I just used 0.5lb of caramel 20.
Also used briess pale ale malt since I have a bag of that, guess my beer will be a little darker than the original.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Brewed this up on Sunday and tossed in a fresh tube of Wlp400 that took a good 36 hours to show any signs of life. O.g. 1.055, I used two ounces of fresh orange zest. Will poste a picture when it's finished. Doing this for a birthday party in about five weeks, cheers.

Brewed this up in December, racked and added some blackberry juice in January, but been busy so it has just been sitting in the carboy. Need to bottle it up, looking forward to it!

Since we added blackberry juice, we are calling this on our Dirty Blonde.

BeerLabel.jpg

So I did my first all grain Slayer and totally missed the mark - ended up with 4.25 g of 1.065 wort. So I can either make Imperial slayer or dilute out to 5.25 for a much healthier 1.053.

What do you think? Dilute and get an extra gallon out of the deal, or avoid it because it might cheapen the flavor?

Note: I boiled a gallon of filtered water - I'm letting it cool covered overnight while I wait for the smarter minds to weigh in.

I am NOT one of the 'smarter' minds but I say leave it as is, man up and get some of that slayer. She's a little rough around the edges but ultimately extremely satisfying. And it's cheaper than a strip club!

You could do either. Diluting it would be basically the same as what extract brewing does.
Your hop utilization may have been slightly affected so IBU's may be a little off but not to the point where most would notice is.
If it were me I would dilute it, unless I wanted an Imperial. Which for the style is unusual and for me going into spring I prefer something closer to sessionable.

Just got my first taste of this one after a month-long wait. It was great. I'm still trying to dial in my all grain skills so i was somewhat concerned about reaching my numbers. It came in perfect. Great recipe, great beer.

This is one of my favorites so I entered in a competition in DC. I got 3rd place in the Belgians with a score of 38 and nothing but good comments. I always knew this was a winner, but now it has been confirmed. Thanks OP for the recipe!

Back