Location,Location,Location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Hand

Reaction score
Does it matter where or how you boil your wort? The obvious spot is the kitchen stove but does it stink up the house? I also have a stand alone propane burner; would that be okay to use in the garage? How long would it take if I just held a zippo underneath the pot? Just kiddin on that last one.

"Stink up the House" is a relative phrase. Yes, there is a strong smell involved. To me it doesn't stink, and my wife doesn't mind it, but I know others have been kicked outside to brew.

kicked out side by the wife to garage based on smell in the house, which i can appreciate....

however,

the newest claim is that it aggrivates her allergys. which i think is a load of bollox...

anyhoo brewshed in the spring!!!

Kitchen. If the wife don't like the smell she can go outside. I have not told her that yet but she knows. At least I think she knows. Who am I kidding - she hates the smell, plus she is 5 months pregnant and as such is gasping for a cold beer and hates me. I am a dead man tonight when I get the big pan out and put it on the stove!

I personally LOVE the smell of a good wart cooking! especially a good dark...hmmmm. But either is fine I started inside but once you get a boil over and have to clean all that mess, you'll want to move outside. :) a propane burner is great only thing you have to worry about with outside brewing is weather. High winds can affect the time and boil, but thats about it!

Good luck!

I started cooking on the stove then when wife was perg she got real nauseous, so I got a turkey burner and tried it in the garage. Worked ok but all my other brewing stuff was in the basement so now I cook in the basement, Still stinks up the house a bit and the kids complain but I AM KING OF MY DOMAIN who am I kidding I will be setting up a fan next time working pretty good

I brew in the old garage. In the winter, I'll prop the main door open about an inch. That provides plenty of ventilation without too much wind, rain & debris. Summer time, I open the door all the way, unless the yellow jackets are swarming.

Back