Austin Texas Bulk Grain Buy - Over for 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdWort

Reaction score
EDIT: This year's buy is complete.

It's that time of year again. We're working on the Austin - Central Texas Bulk Grain buy for 2009, our third year.

If you are interested in at least three 55# bags of grain and can pick them up in Bee Cave, TX, head on out to Yahoo Group below and click the join button.

BulkGrain : Austin Bulk Grain Co-Op

Sample prices pick up in Bee Cave per 55# (25 Kg) sack.

Canada Malting
Pale Ale Malt $28.43
2-Row Malt $27.88

Thomas Fawcette
55# Maris Otter $41.08

Best Malz Germany
Pils $35.58
Vienna $36.68
Dark Munich $ 37.78

Sounds great! Would you guys consider a two bag minimum if I can't find someone in SA to go in with?

Any idea how long it will take to put this together? I'm considering driving from Houston for this, can't pass up those prices!

Any idea how long it will take to put this together? I'm considering driving from Houston for this, can't pass up those prices!

We'll be placing the order near the end of the month for delivery in February.

how much for shipping?

There is no shipping. You pick up in Bee Cave, west of Austin. We'll have a truck with 2-3 pallets of malt (4,000 to 6,000 lbs) and everyone meets on a weekend day in February to pick up their malt and swap beers.

I really appreciate Ed and his group putting this together. It makes brewing beer throughout the year really cheap!

I'm in. I just joined the Yahoo group. (awaiting approval) I've watched the videos and read all about All Grain brewing. Now it's time to do it.
Road Trip to Austin next month!

No, it is not too late. Just post your order on the database. Be sure you make the 3 bag minimum though.

I'm in as well. Can't wait to pick my grain up and meet the fellow Texans from HBT.

Bulk buy is closed. We are close to 3 pallets (almost 7,000 pounds of malt). PM me if you are interested with your wish list (minimum 3 bags that you can pick up in Bee Cave, TX). We may get a 4th pallet, but I won't bank on it.

We are going for the 4th pallet. I figured we would after I closed it. Sure enough, emails started flying in.

We'll leave it open till we get to the 4 pallet and then place the order.

Ok guys, step with your minimum 3 bag orders.

ed,
i just got a huge delivery of venison summer sausage in from our processor. i will bring some along for the pickup. we need all the protein we can get to help unload those 4 pallets! i also have a foodsaver i can bring if needed.

jason

Just applied for membership to the group, figured I might as well get in if I still can!

I just joined the group. Hopefully, it's still open. Thanks for putting this together Ed! The great prices allowed me to justify ordering a barley crusher:mug:

Still open. 15 bags to go till we complete the 4th pallet. That's 9,240 pounds of malt.

Not looking like I can order, but I might be up for a couple hour drive to the Austin area (depending on my school schedule) to meet HBTers any problem with that?

OK, who's wife from College Station did I meet at Ed's? Send me a PM. Gotta get you hooked up w/ our local brew club. Cheers.

Oh, and it was a great time, and we got a butt load of grain/hops for a great price.

Ed, thanks a million for setting this up and hosting the distribution! And for the pulled pork! And for the blonde and IPA you served!! You're awesome, brother!

Thanks Clint. It was quite a day.

9,240 Pounds of Malt
33 pounds of Hops
50 pounds of corn sugar (my bag, should cover me for eight 16 gallon batches of Apfelwein)
100 pounds of PBW
4 gallons of Star San
3.5 pounds of Super Moss

Here's the truck backed in my drive way backed up to the B-Ball court.

thetruckishere.jpg

The first two of 4 pallets.
thefirst2of4pallets.jpg

A view from the truck, KopyKat standing there in the middle drove it down.
ourtruckdriverjerryp.jpg

All the malt and bulk buyers from Austin, Houston, San Antonio, & College Station.
bulkbuygroup2009.jpg

Yes, a HUGE thank you to Ed! My office smells like grains again, it almost makes me want to sit in here and study :D

Again, thanks for setting up the bulk purchase. Had a great time! It was nice meeting lots of the people on this board that dont go to the local meetings.. now, I gots to get brew schedule back on the up and up again...:mug:

Just want to thank EdWort for putting this together. I had a great time (although I'm a little sore today :()

A quick pic of my haul:

6 bags of 2row
2 bags of Maris Otter
1 bag of Pils
30# Vienna
30# Munich
10# Brown Malt
5# Chocolate
5# Crystal 60

575# total

2# CaraMunich (picked up from AHS on the way)

grainbuy.jpg

No fancy pics ('cause my haul isn't that impressive at only 220#), but I wanted to say thanks for all those that participated and/or organized the buy. Everyone's efforts will make my brewing much cheaper this year. It was great to meet everyone and enjoy some tasty brews. Many thanks :tank:

Cheers,
Eric

Yes, a HUGE thank you to Ed! My office smells like grains again, it almost makes me want to sit in here and study :D

My son, Grant (8), said last night as he walked by the bar where I've got all my grain sitting right now: "Why does it smell like cookies in here?"

Makes a pappa proud. :)

OK guys,

We are over 4 pallets so far. 5 is our limit, for a total of 11,550 pounds of malt.

Let's Get-R-Done and ordered by January 4th.

Cheers,

Ed

Do you guys like the Canadian 2-row or is it because it is cheap? I tried carrying it once and the customers didn't seem to like it. How much are you guys paying per bag including shipping for the Canadian stuff?

Forrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back