Banjo burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got my banjo burner, mounted it on my brewstand, and I'm doing a test boil/kettle oxidation boil right now. This thing is way quieter than my previous boil burner which is now my HLT burner. Amazon.com: Eastman Outdoors Model 38021 30-Quart Professional-Grade Outdoor Cooking Set with Burner: Home & Garden

It has taken about 30 minutes to boil less than 5 gallons from about 150.:confused:

Also, the spring that is supposed to hold the orifice in place doesn't fit over the brass peice when I screw it in. Maybe someone with a banjo could take some up-close pictures of these pieces for me. I bought it from Northern Brewer but I bought just the burner and regulator, not the stand, so I'm afraid maybe there was some mix-up with parts.

My other concern is that I may have the pot mounted too high over the burner. If someone who has the burner and stand could measure what that distance is supposed to be, thanks in advance. I think this might be the reason it is taking so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see that I've titled this thread poorly. I know plenty of you have this burner. I just need a close picture of the orifice and a measurement of the burner to pot height.

OK, I mounted the pot lower (about 2" from burner to pot instead of about 6") and I started to do another test boil but I ran out of propane. I was messing around with the air orifice, and pulling it back a little to let more air in made a much healthier sounding flame. It sounded more like a roar than a hiss. Also, I got a whiff of propane once in a while with the plate on all the way but rotated for max flow. That tells me that it's a rich flame. I did look up some pictures on google images and they show the same orifice as me. I'm considering drilling a hole in that plate orifice to get that flame back, but I gotta think that the bayou classic people would have done some research to get it right.

Using my past experience with propane burners it sounds like your regulated propane pressure at the burner is too high for that burner. Have you tested the regulated pressure while the burner is running? No matter how high the propane pressure is at the jet the atmospheric pressure is fixed or limited to only a certain amount of air flow. Are you sure you have a propane orfice not one for natural gas? This without adding elevation to the problem which will make you also run richer. The air intake track in the burner clean without critter nest restrictions? Air compressor and nozzle blasted clean with all burner opening clear? I would go for a maximum blue flame even if this requires lowering the regulated pressure to your burner this best seen at night plus at night you can see and set the flame to keggle distance better than in the daylight. My 2 cents if it helps?

On running out of propane that's why it's called "pane", in you know where that's why I have switched a few friends and myself over from propane to full electric heating. At $22.99 listed in my area for Blue Rino propane exchanges and for only 15 pound fills of propane. One gallon of propane weighs 4.24 pounds so your 15 pound bottle only holds 3.5377 gallons not the 20 pounds or 4.716 gallons called 5 gallons. I see electric heating as paying for itself rather soon these days vs propane. No worries about power failures in the middle of a brew as I have a 6.5KW maximum 120/240 volt MultiQuip generator. Sorry off topic a bit here.

It's brand new. It also says on northern brewer that this burner can't be converted to NG.

At first I thought maybe they sent me the parts for the hurricane burner but the regulator for that is blue. Mine matches the one in the picture. I'm not sure if anything is wrong yet or not. I still have to get 10 gallons to a boil.

Well I think I can put my fears to rest. I'm doing a night burn right now and the flames are all blue. Beautiful little cones over every orifice and licking blue flames up the side of the pot. I filled my 15 gallon almost full, probably about 13.5-14 gallons and on a 63 degree night I had it from 70 (tap temp) to a boil in 40 minutes. That's pretty darn good. I think my little alum flashing windblocker/chimney gives me a nice advantage. The NB website advertises 10 gallons to a boil in 45 minutes.

I guess I'm just not used to a quiet burner.

You want noise add a boom box, no pass on that idea and enjoy the silence with a homebrew in a comfortable chair. Life is good.
Sounds like your windblocker is helping, maybe a little fine tuning will get you the best and fastest heating efficency then make one out of sheetmetal.
What's the price of propane on the right coast?
I see it at $22.99 bottle exchange for 15 pounds propane here in the San Francisco bay area. Blue Rino in my area at hardware stores and now Nob Hills supermarkets outside. Without a empty or core exchange it's $63 or $69 for a 20 pounder. Sounds stange as the 20 pounder or 5 gallon is listed at 15 pounds net propane. This after they added the new valves with a float limiting overfilling problems. Less propane but the same price another public ripoff. I found this on my BBQ with an old bottle that lasted a long time then replaced with the new valve style bottle it went empty way too quick. I used a couple 16 oz camping lantern bottles to finish the BBQ.
I purchased a adapter and refillable 14.5 oz bottle for soldering years ago and use this adapter to also refill the fat 16 oz lantern bottles. Just need to pull the pressure relief valve core open with a needle nose pliers vs the bolt on the refillable bottle. Yes a federal no no to refill those 16 oz vs the legal refillable 14.5 oz bottle. The 16 oz is tilted to fill to app 75% preventing pop off venting while in the heat transporting or camping in the sun. Maximum filled will expand and self vent due to expansion when set in the sun or warm shade alone I found out years ago. A learning curve and big oops back then. This winter must be hard on mountain people heating with propane not alone fuel oil heating of homes on the right coast. Natural gas is available in my area.

Latest posts

Back