Just got a new aluminum pot, is there an oxide layer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
So I just got a new aluminum brewpot, and I've read that what keeps aluminum from giving a metallic off flavor to beer is the aluminum oxide layer. My question is: do I need to create this layer, or is it already there? Maybe I should boil water in the pot for a while to build it up. Thanks.

So I just got a new aluminum brewpot, and I've read that what keeps aluminum from giving a metallic off flavor to beer is the aluminum oxide layer. My question is: do I need to create this layer, or is it already there? Maybe I should boil water in the pot for a while to build it up. Thanks.

Yes you need to create it rather boiling water or by sticking it in the oven.

I boiled a full pot of water for about 30 minutes in mine before using it for brewing. Alternately, you can put it in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes. All of my brews have been very tasty with no metallic taste.

There is an oxide layer, as aluminum oxidizes rapidly.

However, heating and/or boiling will make it more uniform and take care of any scratches and dings.

Interesting. Al pots are much cheaper than ss pots. But my homebrew store told me not to use the al pots since they will impart some bad flavours into the beer.

Does this mean I just have to boil water in the al pot to ensure there is no off flavours?

Many people here use aluminum pots, with no bad effects to report. Personally, I've done 5 batches in my aluminum pots and haven't noticed any off tastes. In addition, all the friends who have tried my beers (some of them brewers themselves) haven't said anything about it.

Heyo,

related question here... didn't feel like it warranted a new thread.

I just bought this pot for 10 bucks at the local goodwill.
05250812471xy4.jpg

I boiled it for 30 mins up to the red line (you can see the boil line).

Everything above that line looks fairly gross and disgusting. I gave it a solid scrubbing, and there's no actual gunk in there anymore, but I certainly feel as if I should give the pot a full-on boil to get rid of the weird looking stuff on the metal above the boil line.

Is this the oxidation line referred to in the above posts, or is this just random junk?

Either way, I'm assuming that I should re-boil the entire pot, but with a higher waterline?

Latest posts

Back