Is there a style you can say you do not like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
As homebrewers, we seem to focus on brewing beers we know whe like and "exploring" the styles we like. This is what I consider the core reason I like brewing.

As I expand my palate, I try to seek out the different styles and sample some of the BJCP commercial examples, and some not on the list for a full scope experience.

I know it is not cool to admit, but I do not think I am falling over myself to seek out Belgians. It may be a matter of my mood when I darnk the many different versions, it may be the conditions with which I tried them, but from a high level, I do not care for them much (with exceptions).

Again, this could be seen as an act of homebrew treason to admit, but I figure there are outhers out there that have styles they just do not seem to like. anyone care to share?

BMC :D

I can't think of a style off the top of my head, but i'm often disappointed with microbrew renditions of belgian style and other beers...american beers always seem far too hoppy.

Pilsners. I don't know why but there are very few that I like.

It's okay to not like a style. Unless it's Belgian. That's not okay. ;)

Saying you don't like Belgians is like saying you don't like American beer. The difference between Gouden Carolus GCotE and Hoegaarden is as vast as the difference between Bud Light and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I just find it hard to believe that you can denounce an entire region of beers, given the VAST range of styles there.

What belgian beers have you had? Gouden Carolus Grand Cru of the Emperor? Anything by Fantome? Hanssens Oude Kreik? Karmeliet? Westy St. Sixtus? Rochefort? Saison Dupont?

Just trying to make sure that you're not judging the entirety of Belgium's offerings based on Leffe and Hoegaarden.

Personally...I have yet to find a style that I truly dislike. Even Schlenkerla Rauchbier grew on me. If it's well-made beer, then I'm usually into it.

yeah, i'm with ya evan...that's why i couldn't pick a style.

i'd say i hate pilsners, cuz most the american one's are teh suck...but there are some great german pilsners.

as for belgian and belgian-style beers...here's a few more to think about:

Chimay (obvious), Gulden Draak, St. Bernardus Abt 12, La Fin Du Monde, Maudite

:mug:

I don't care for most wheat (at least not the spicy or bananna ones) or beers with spice added...

Pilsners, Ambers and Altbier, most Barleywine (but I like Belgian Golden Strong ales), BMC...

I think I really like fruity beers, now that I think of the styles I DO like.

-D

There are examples within a number of styles that I have not cared for but I don't have a style I dislike.

The closest would be beers with fruit flavorings/infusions/additions...I generally don't care for a majority of the ones I have sampled.

I don't like wheat beers very much, or hefes. I can drink a hefe on a really hot day if nothing else is available. I'm willing to try some different beers, to try different styles, but some beers just haven't grown on me at all.

When Belgians are really sweet, I'm not a fan, but there have been plenty that I've loved.
German Hefe's don't do it for me. Can't say that I appreciate the presence of :ban: or cloves in my beer. I do like American Wheat and every Wit that I've had a lot, though.

I don't like Barleywines, but I can finish a bottle.

I've never actually managed to put down an imperial stout.

I'm not sure about Kolsh... Everyone I've had has been bad, but from what I understand the flavours I don't like are acutually undesireable, which means I've most likely just had bad examples of Kolshes.

I don't like BMC and I've begun to taste something noticable which I can only define as "blunt" and "metallic" in all lagers.

ANY bananna tasting wheat, or clove tasting wheat, and have yet to find a brown ale that I like. There may be one out there, but I am not going to keep looking for it!

Hefeweizens...not for me. The banana / clove flavors don't work for me.

Beers with a lot of "non-beer" ingredients, like fruit beers or spiced beers. Anything where the "extras" dominate the flavor. I don't like many "chocolate" or "coffee" porters/stouts; they too often become all about the extra flavor and lose their core.

But, that's a difference that has developed since I began brewing; one of my first batches was a mocha stout (that I hated because it was TOO much chocolate and TOO much coffee) and another was a raspberry ale that I hated because it was TOO MUCH raspberry.

I try every lager I can get my hands on and I just don't care for them. I want to but I just don't. Pilsner is out too, I didn't even like Pilsner Urquell.

I really need to drink my way from London to Germany and all beer-points in between (and not so in between) to get a good sample of the beer world. Only then will I consider myself decided. :D

Evan! said:
It's okay to not like a style. Unless it's Belgian. That's not okay. ;)

Saying you don't like Belgians is like saying you don't like American beer. The difference between Gouden Carolus GCotE and Hoegaarden is as vast as the difference between Bud Light and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I just find it hard to believe that you can denounce an entire region of beers, given the VAST range of styles there.

What belgian beers have you had? Gouden Carolus Grand Cru of the Emperor? Anything by Fantome? Hanssens Oude Kreik? Karmeliet? Westy St. Sixtus? Rochefort? Saison Dupont?

Just trying to make sure that you're not judging the entirety of Belgium's offerings based on Leffe and Hoegaarden.

Personally...I have yet to find a style that I truly dislike. Even Schlenkerla Rauchbier grew on me. If it's well-made beer, then I'm usually into it.

To be honest, I am judging the style based on my experiences with it. I have had an estimate of 15-20 different brands/types. I am sure there are exceptions to my generalized statement, but there have been very few I would jump for. That said, most of my experiance has been with american brewery renditions of belgians, which may be the core of the issue. I have tried some true belgians, and again mixed reviews. There is a fairly well known bar in Philly called Monks that is known for the ample selection of belgians. I plan to hit that up the next time I am in the city and get a good schooling, but I would not be supprised if my feelings do not change.

Ryan_PA said:
To be honest, I am judging the style based on my experiences with it. I have had an estimate of 15-20 different brands/types. I am sure there are exceptions to my generalized statement, but there have been very few I would jump for. That said, most of my experiance has been with american brewery renditions of belgians, which may be the core of the issue. I have tried some true belgians, and again mixed reviews. There is a fairly well known bar in Philly called Monks that is known for the ample selection of belgians. I plan to hit that up the next time I am in the city and get a good schooling, but I would not be supprised if my feelings do not change.

Well, again, "Belgian" is as much a singular style as "German" is. I could understand if you said "I don't like Belgian Dubbels" or "I don't like Belgian Geuze". But to eschew the entire range of beers from Belgium? I just don't understand. I mean, I wouldn't judge the merits of Brooklyn Brewery based on my experience with Coors, even though they are both "American".

Honestly, the only real common thread that most Belgian beers share is that almost none of them are very hop-forward. So if you're a hop-head, and only like really hoppy beers, then it makes more sense. The fact that your experience has been with American renditions of Belgian styles is also reason to suspect you're not getting the full picture. In comparison to the "real deal", American versions are almost always inadequate.

Have fun at Monks...I'll be there in the spring. Try some trappist and abbey ales. Try some stuff from Fantome and Gouden Carolus. Try some Dupont and de Glazen Toren. If you still don't find anything you like, well, then I guess you really just don't like Belgian beer.

The only style I do not like is "American Light Lager". I cannot think of a single commercial example of this style that I have enjoyed.

"Holiday / Spiced Ales" is a close second, though I have enjoyed Redhook's Winterhook in the past (and even brewed a clone).

Evan! said:
Have fun at Monks...I'll be there in the spring. Try some trappist and abbey ales. Try some stuff from Fantome and Gouden Carolus. Try some Dupont and de Glazen Toren. If you still don't find anything you like, well, then I guess you really just don't like Belgian beer.

Perhaps you are right. I know the dubbles and triples have not taken my breath away, but I will run the gamet then decide.

Hit me up when you are in the philly area if you are interested in grabbing a beer or a bite.

Ryan_PA said:
Perhaps you are right. I know the dubbles and triples have not taken my breath away, but I will run the gamet then decide.

Hit me up when you are in the philly area if you are interested in grabbing a beer or a bite.

will do! :mug:

Ryan_PA said:
… I do not think I am falling over myself to seek out Belgians……I do not care for them much…

kenb said:
I don't care for most…beers with spice added...

TheJadedDog said:
I really don't like Belgians or Heffes.

That’s IT.

I’m sending you all a bottle of my Blue Balls Belgian Wit and my SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde. :D

Wheats, Hefes, Belgians and anything with fruit (except blueberry). And IPAs with floaties.

the_bird said:
I hate Belgians, too! :D

If it will get me some free beer than I'll say it too.

I'd have to agree with an earlier post on 'potpurri beers'. I'm ok with spiciness produced by yeast, but when you go adding things like allspice or nutmeg to beer it doesn't really do anything for me.

One of the few exceptions I've found to this was Evan's Basil IPA, but that's because I found the basil to be very faint.

I'd have to say that there aren't any beer styles I hate. However, my least preferred styles would be hefes with lots of yeast flavor and really strong alcohol beers. I do however like Chimay Grand Reserve. I think it depends on how well the aforementioned styles are made. Especially the high alcohol ones where often that is all you taste.

I would have said "Pumpkin Beers"(is that a style???) but I happened upon Fasson's for SWMBO who must have any cheezy seasonal brew that comes along.... and damned if it wasn't really good.

Oh yeah, and I hate anything Budweiser makes.

A year ago I would've had a list of styles I didn't like. But I think every brewer has there own little twist to a style. So until I've tried every beer I can't say I don't like a particular style. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. :drunk:

Scottish Ale. In all fairness I've only had the one when I was on an import tasting spree, but it turned me off so badly that I haven't been able to bring myself to spend any more money on it. I couldn't believe how much I disliked it. I'd sure like to know what it is in a Scottish that gives it that horrible flavour so I can avoid it in the future.

Back