camden vs sulphite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
is one better than the other? i see that most 1g batches of wine call for 1 camden tab(or rather 1 tab per gal being made). I am diving head 1st into a few batches of whole fruit wine. My lhbs sold me metabisulphite 2day under the premis that it was easier for 5-6 g batches cause you did not have to crush anything. Is that the only real difference having to crush? and does anyone know how much sulphite to use for a 1g batch?(hey i have it might as well use it)

Oh btw batches in the planning stage a cherry elderberry wine(my grandma's request) a red currant wine a blueberry wine and a redcurrant-blueberry wine.

Campden = potassium metabisulfite, just in a convenient tablet size. For a 1 gallon batch, you need a miniscule amount of sulfite. It's almost impossible to measure it unless you have a little gram scale.

The easiest way (but a bit wasteful) to do it with small batches and using the powder is to make up a 10% solution of K-meta (10mg in 100ml water), and use 5ml per gallon of this solution.

Back