American Wheat turned extra light wheat while in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tealio

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't posted much since usually I find the answers I need, but this one I'm not sure of.

I have been all grain brewing for about a year, and usually have no issues filling a corny, carbing for a couple weeks and serving until empty...

This time, I made an American Wheat, all-grain - ABV ended up about 6.6%, served down to the last 25 % or so, then it started blowing foam as if it was kicked, so I untapped it and left it to clean later.

About a week past, and I was going to clean the keg to move on, and I remembered it didn't feel empty, so I tried a pour...

Low and behold, I poured off several pints!

Unlike the previous 75% of the keg, these pints were noticeably clear, and they had much less body, if any. The taste was still good, but watered down and highly carbonated, like seltzer. Actually tastes like a light wheat.

Any ideas what happened?

I don't think the keg froze or anything, as I haven't had any frozen bottles in the kegerator.

Haven't touched the regulator since I switched to serving from 10 down to 4 or 5.

Thanks!

I don't think the keg froze or anything, as I haven't had any frozen bottles in the kegerator.

That's exactly what I think happened, some of the water in the keg turned to ice. I had this happen to me when I first started kegging with the same symptoms. My Sanyo mini fridge temp control was extremely sensitive and had to be adjusted in very small increments.

Get one of those temp controllers or build one of the aquarium ones from e-bay.

Oh well, I had to verify with a few pints tonight and it is now in the past.

I agree it likely must have had a cold spell in the 3/4 fridge it sits in awaiting pint glasses.

Nice single tier rig!

I recently purchased one and have two quick questions for ya-

Are your both your burners the banjos in the pics?

Do you have a comparison or idea cost of gas for a 10 galllon batch propane versus NG?

I have brewed once on my new single and a half tier using two standard bayou burners, one with a 15psi regulator, other with a 10 (15 used for the boil) and I think I used around 12 lbs of propane (which adds a significant cost to my batch, not to mention I have (8) 20 lb propane tanks on hand to save trips to be refilled at U-Haul.

When I had this same problem with beer freezing in the keg it was filled with a yuengling clone. I knew there was something wrong from the start because the beer was fantastic. Good hop flavor without it being overpowering that made you crave more hops. I figured I made a mistake while brewing it until I figured it out. Some day I will try and bump up this same recipe and try and recreate that flavor.

Thanks for the comments on my rig. Yes the burners in the pics are the one I use. The way the top of the rig was constructed pretty much seals the air out from the top making some of the flame sporadically wink out. To fix this I had to raise the kettles up about an inch.

I don't have a comparison or costs yet because the NG hookup has not been started. From what I have read the cost using NG is a lot cheaper. To compensate I mostly brew 10 gallon batches.

Back