Midwest Oatmeal Stout Kit at 6 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
Back in Feb, I brewed the Oatmeal Stout extract kit from Midwest. I aged it on the lees for 6 months in a glass carboy. I bottled it a ~week ago, and while bottling, it tasted just fine. I tested a bottle yesterday, it was carbed up nicely. The flavor was off. Some notes:

Grassy
tannic
'hot' or fusely
winey (probably from sitting on lees?)

It's not sour or infected, nothing like that, but just not very good. Normally I'd say "let it age a little longer" after bottling, but this is already a 6 month stout.

There were specialty grains for this, but I didn't boil them, I actually followed the directions. So, I'm not sure what went wrong. I was planning on using this as a base recipe for wake-n-bake type stout, but having second thoughts now.

Yeast: WL Irish Ale, primary fermentation temps were in the upper 60s. Aging temps were between 57 up to about 68 during the summer, under the house on the cold dirt in a crawlspace covered in a blanket to block sunlight.

Any tips or considerations I should, um, consider?

*EDIT: I did use pellet hops for the boil, and the beer DID sit on those along with the Lees for 6 months. *

Back in Feb, I brewed the Oatmeal Stout extract kit from Midwest. I aged it on the lees for 6 months in a glass carboy. I bottled it a ~week ago, and while bottling, it tasted just fine. I tested a bottle yesterday, it was carbed up nicely. The flavor was off. Some notes:

Grassy
tannic
'hot' or fusely
winey (probably from sitting on lees?)

It's not sour or infected, nothing like that, but just not very good. Normally I'd say "let it age a little longer" after bottling, but this is already a 6 month stout.

There were specialty grains for this, but I didn't boil them, I actually followed the directions. So, I'm not sure what went wrong. I was planning on using this as a base recipe for wake-n-bake type stout, but having second thoughts now.

Yeast: WL Irish Ale, primary fermentation temps were in the upper 60s. Aging temps were between 57 up to about 68 during the summer, under the house on the cold dirt in a crawlspace covered in a blanket to block sunlight.

Any tips or considerations I should, um, consider?

*EDIT: I did use pellet hops for the boil, and the beer DID sit on those along with the Lees for 6 months. *

if it tasted fine at bottling I would say that the issue has nothing to do with your long primary on the trub( lees) as that would have shown up in the taste at bottling. Even though it is 6 mos old it is still GREEN due to JUST being bottled. A small referment is going on to carb up the bottles so let it set a few weeks and try it again. I bet it is fine.

Back