Sources and Methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSlinger

Reaction score
Hi,

My kit should arrive today and I’m looking toward getting a Kegging system in the next couple of weeks. I have been thinking about setting up a system but there is one question that still seems outstanding that I just don’t have the answer. For those of you that have setup a Kegging system already, this should be an easy one. But for me, the question is a little illusive.

When you setup, I would imagine that the water, wert, and/or extract can be poured through the top and then just close and compress with the CO2. What if you want to just fill the keg with a water source, what would all of you use? Ok, I’ll be a little more specific, let’s take an example:

Example #1: Beer

Let’s say that you have 2 ½ gallons of wert and then you want to add 2 ½ gallons of water to even out the mix to compress. What would the water line be hooked to?

:rolleyes:

BeerSlinger said:
Hi,

My kit should arrive today and I’m looking toward getting a Kegging system in the next couple of weeks. I have been thinking about setting up a system but there is one question that still seems outstanding that I just don’t have the answer. For those of you that have setup a Kegging system already, this should be an easy one. But for me, the question is a little illusive.

When you setup, I would imagine that the water, wert, and/or extract can be poured through the top and then just close and compress with the CO2. What if you want to just fill the keg with a water source, what would all of you use? Ok, I’ll be a little more specific, let’s take an example:

Example #1: Beer

Let’s say that you have 2 ½ gallons of wert and then you want to add 2 ½ gallons of water to even out the mix to compress. What would the water line be hooked to?

:rolleyes:

Your saying to add water to reach the 5 gallon mark right? You would just poor the water in after the wort, no lines would be hooked up. Or are you trying to dispense water from a tap?

Methinks he might be confusing the way soda is dispensed from concentrate with how it is used in dispensing beer.

The Corny keg is not unlike your bottle in that all of the ingredients (including water) are in the corny before natural or forced carbonation can occur.

If you are force carbing (FC), you are adding CO2 to the environment for the beer to absorb.

Once beer is carbed via natural or FC, CO2 is used to push the beer out of Corny and into your mug.

Todd said:
Your saying to add water to reach the 5 gallon mark right? You would just poor the water in after the wort, no lines would be hooked up. Or are you trying to dispense water from a tap?

Yeah.....that's right, just make half and then mix half resulting with 5 gallons or mixing a little more in to compensate for the evaporated.....

Well, I was trying to get a feel for what others do, I was thinking about going to a tap or a tank to dispense.......with a tank, I could measure it and then just use a water purifyer to get the water.......

olllllo said:
Methinks he might be confusing the way soda is dispensed from concentrate with how it is used in dispensing beer.

The Corny keg is not unlike your bottle in that all of the ingredients (including water) are in the corny before natural or forced carbonation can occur.

If you are force carbing (FC), you are adding CO2 to the environment for the beer to absorb.

Once beer is carbed via natural or FC, CO2 is used to push the beer out of Corny and into your mug.

Confusing, no....Gearing up to do both, yes....

I would like to become almost self-sufficient.....not only would I like a better beer (or more variety) but I'm darn sick of buying this crap......I plan to get a kegging system with two liquid tanks to start and one gas with both taps…but I can see myself expanding far beyond that. I’m glad all I do in my basement is laundry; because I have a feeling I’m going to need the space…

Now if I could figure out how to plant tobacco, dry it grind it and roll it, I would be all set. But I would need a lot of land for that kind of volume…

:p

Back