Craigslist is god.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikolausXX

Reaction score
I have been searching craigslist for months for 15.5 gal kegs, and cornies. No luck, or when there was I had no money. So finally I decided to put wanted ad on there, overwhelming response here in lincoln. Just scored 2 cornies for 30 bucks, and a 15.5 for 25. I am impressed. So much for brewing another batch this weekend im going to be out of cash valving my new keg! Might have to buy some applejuice at wal mart, 1.99 for 3qt, and make some more apfelwein, just not to disturb the 2 week pipeline I have going.

Nice score!! I have also found some good stuff on craigslist. Have fun trying to fill those kegs!!

Talking to a neighbor who is a supervisor at the Port Of Oakland in the ship loading department I was told many tons of 15.5 kegs, corny's and any stainless in general is loaded aboard ships. This has gone on for a long time and sent to China or Hong Kong by the ship loads. I live 3 miles away in Alameda a island in the bay across from the Port of Oaklands shipping. I kayak the water between the cities and note the ships home ports over the years, it has changed.
The ships sterns for scrap now all have a city in China or Hong Kong as the ships registery not as random and world wide as the past.
Only a few of 8 different local brew supply places within 30 miles of me will even have corny's available none had 15.5 kegs available. Big mail away places have them, price reflects also. The CHI Company California is also out and they are in the keg, corny and winery keg manufacturing business. I have seen kegs for $99 on ebay but add shipping of $30 to $40 this becomes rather expensive per keg times three. This adds up quickly for one looking for kegs without paying the crazy prices brew supply places are asking for their already cut and welded keggles with couplings welded on. Talk to a 5th wheel beer delivery driver, might get lucky with him having a off brand keg, a quick hand shake with maybe $40 for a quick magic transfer. This has worked for me a few times with one cool driver.

CHI Company in northern Calif may still have the 4 packs of corny's for $76 or add $8 or $10 more and get a complete O ring kit for them. You would get Matt on the phone, he's a great person plus their corny's are clean not all dented up come in one box. They purchased everything owned by Pepsi including all their corny's across the country.
They want the corny department gone that's why the price drop from $99 a 4 pack to $76, that's $19 each before adding shipping.
My shipping was 115 miles away so rather cheap UPS ground.
End of an era on corny's now in a plastic bag like wine in a box. Heck they sell corny's in volume to your local brew supply places, they just add their big profit to your bill from them. Buy direct and save unless there is a corny supply company in your part of the country to keep shipping costs down. Shipping across the country can add up coming from California. Good keg hunting.

I'm also in Lincoln and always checking Craigslist for stuff. I haven;t been lucky so far but I will keep watching.

I posted a wanted ad, simply read "wanted 16 gallon beer kegs, 5 gallon soda kegs" I got 5 emails in 2 days. I already purchached a 16 gallon for 25, and 2 cornies ball lock for 30 for both.

I got a reply today for 2 15.5's for 45 bucks. I would be interested until he was talking about human food cunsumption and nitric acid. He said they were real shiney. I turned them down, due to chemicals I dont know about. Said he worked for a chemical company.

I got a reply today for 2 15.5's for 45 bucks. I would be interested until he was talking about human food cunsumption and nitric acid. He said they were real shiney. I turned them down, due to chemicals I dont know about. Said he worked for a chemical company.

Nitric acid is used to passivating Stainless steel makes it less prone to corrosion and rust. So if that was the only thing used in the keg I would have taken them.

I can still reply back to him, if I wanted too, is the nitric acid safe with stainless. It seems like chance, he said he works in plating industry, I reread the emails. But it is Nitric acid that was in them.

Nitric acid is used to passivating Stainless steel makes it less prone to corrosion and rust. So if that was the only thing used in the keg I would have taken them.

barkeeper's friend and others like that do the same thing, but cheaper.

Back