Yeast type characteristics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew75

Reaction score
I've brewed a few batches using liquid yeast, both White Labs and Wyeast. I've also brewed a few using dry yeast. They have all been extract. None of the ingredients have differed that much, and they all have had a OG of around 1.048, give or take a couple points. I've used a starter(stir plate) for a couple liquid yeast batches. Anyway, all of my liquid yeast batches I have needed a blow off tube while in my primary. I have not needed a blow off for any of my dry yeast batches, and I've also had a longer lag time.(I've sprinkled the yeast directly on the wort) Is this typical? I'm curious to what this means. Does liquid yeast ferment faster? Will hydrating the dry yeast reduce lag time and speed up the fermentation process?

In my experience, rehydrating dry yeast does reduce lag time. I've only used liquid yeast a few times and always made a starter, and there doesn't seem to be much difference in fermentations - I've yet to have a blow-off in 25-30 brews.

I've brewed a few batches using liquid yeast, both White Labs and Wyeast. I've also brewed a few using dry yeast. They have all been extract. None of the ingredients have differed that much, and they all have had a OG of around 1.048, give or take a couple points. I've used a starter(stir plate) for a couple liquid yeast batches. Anyway, all of my liquid yeast batches I have needed a blow off tube while in my primary. I have not needed a blow off for any of my dry yeast batches, and I've also had a longer lag time.(I've sprinkled the yeast directly on the wort) Is this typical? I'm curious to what this means. Does liquid yeast ferment faster? Will hydrating the dry yeast reduce lag time and speed up the fermentation process?

Hey NewBrew-

Interestingly, I am having the exact same issue, only in reverse. I have always need a blow off for dry yeast, but I havent for my liquid yeast.. I guess it;s all in temp, O2 content. I also experience less lag time when adding hydrated dry yeast as opposed to just dumping in.. but again, lots of things effect this

Back